Updated on 04/26/16
Hey folks, here’s my ever evolving listing of the gear (and other favorite things) that I use on a daily basis. Each category has been sorted in order of usage. The most used item is on top. I’m also posting regular gadget diary posts and EDC updates where I talk about the gadgets I’m using and adventures I’m having on any particular day.
Smartphone and Related Accessories:
- Nexus 6P Android smartphone – This is an extremely snappy smartphone with excellent battery life and stock Android. I was afraid that I wouldn’t work for me due to it’s size, but I’m making it work.
- KeyShair Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse sharing adapter – Handy little USB adapter that lets you use your PC or Mac’s keyboard and mouse to control an Android or iOS device (keyboard only for iOS).
Computers and Accessories:
- Apple 13″ MacBook Pro with Retina display (2015) – This is my only computer that I use for everything including gadgeteer work, couch surfing and traveling.
- LandingZone DOCK – I use this dock to connect my MacBook Pro to my LG monitor and other accessories. It makes it so easy to grab and go without having to disconnect individual cables.
- Samsung Galaxy S Tab 10.5 – This is the 32GB tablet lives on my coffee table and I use almost every day to play Cookie Jam, check email and surfing, etc.
Other Office Equipment:
- LG 21:9 UltraWide IPS LED monitor (29EA73) – 29 inches of widescreen goodness!
- Brother HL-3170CDW laser printer – This is my first laser printer and so far I’m very happy with it. The price was very affordable at under $200 from Amazon and the print quality / speed are both excellent.
- Coalesse Power Pod – Power “strip” cool enough to put on your desk instead of hiding it underneath.
Cameras and Related Gear:
- Canon 70D DSLR, Canon 430EX II speed light, Canon ST-E2 wireless flash remote – This is the setup that I use for all my Gadgeteer review pics.
- Eye-Fi Wireless SD Card – If you take a lot of pix and don’t have one of these yet, get it now. Trust me!
- Foldio portable photography studio – This is a terrific little light box that allows me to take some the nice product shots that you see in my reviews.
Audio / Video Home Theater Gear:
- Roku 2 XS – I’m using this streaming media player for watching free movies and shows with my Amazon Prime Instant Video account and Netflix. It’s tiny, silent and never seems to have a hiccup.
- Foscam R2 Wireless 1080P IP Camera – After using Dropcams for years, I’ve switched up to this Foscam camera that can be moved around remotely. I usually have this one pointing out the front window, but I can easily rotate it to see what’s going on inside.
- Foscam FI9900P Outdoor wireless camera – I’m also using this Foscam indoors instead of outdoors.
- DUNU TITAN 1 in-ear earphones – Current favorite earphones. I usually hate in-ear style buds, but these are half in-ear and are more like earbuds. They are very comfortable and sound amazing. They come with a nice plastic storage box too.
- Amazon Echo Dot – I just bought this a few weeks ago so I could see what all the fuss was about with the Amazon Echo. I’ve only been playing with it for a couple days and I’m already loving it! It is crazy how well it understands normal speech / questions.
- VicTsing Portable USB Bluetooth Audio Music Streaming Receiver Adapter – I am using this adapter to stream audio from my LG G3 to my MINI Cooper stereo. It works great and doesn’t require a 12V power adapter. I can plug it into the USB port in my car.
- Satechi Bluetooth Media Button – I have this button stuck on the emergency brake of my MINI Cooper. It’s easier (and safer) to use it to change volume and move between tracks when I’m listening to music on my way to and from work.
- Magellan MiVue 658 HD dash cam – Best dash cam I’ve tested so far. It has the best image quality and even has GPS and WiFi built in.
- iOmount iAuto Pro car mount – This magnetic mount is installed in my MINI Cooper. It works great but does require that you stick a steel disk to the back of your phone. I placed the disk between the back of my Nexus 6P and a case.
- Homemade leather Field Notes cover – I made this myself. It can hold 3 Field Notes notebooks without needing elastic bands like Midori covers. I’m thinking about making a larger version soon.
- Uniball Jetstream – My favorite inexpensive ink pens. They put down a smooth thin line that never skips and they don’t cost an arm and a leg.
- Kaweco AL Sport rollerball pen – This is my favorite expensive pen because it is small and is compatible with Pilot G2 refills.
- Moleskine Evernote Smart notebook – I’ve been using this same notebook since August of 2013. I’ve only filled about half the pages, but am going to be switching to a new notebook for 2016. I use a very scaled down version of the Bullet Journal system to keep track of things I need to do.
- D’Addario NS Micro Clip-On Tuner – My favorite clip-on tuner for my ukuleles.
- LED Lenser P7 LED Flashlight (8407) – This is my current quick grab flashlight.
- Coast LED Lenser LED Lantern (TT7105CP) – I used to grab this one whenever our power went out at home, but now that we have a whole house generator, I rarely need it. It’s still using the original batteries which is crazy because I’ve had this lantern since 2007!
- Photon X-Light Micro – Keychain flashlight that I keep in my messenger bag. It’s tiny and light weight, but very bright!
Gear Bags, Pouches, Cases, Wallets and other items of holding:
- Timbuk2 Custom Laptop Messenger Bag – I prefer traditional messenger style bags and this one is roomy and looks great. I’ve been using one for years now. I recently replaced the one shown in the linked review due to damaging it. The one I have now is made of waxed canvas with a Blue stripe.
- Timbuk2 X-Small Classic Messenger Bag – (not shown above) I use this one while on vacation or a day of shopping.
- Waterfield Outback Duffel bag – My travel bag for road trips
- Tom Bihn Checkpoint Flyer bag – My current favorite travel bag that I use when flying. I can unhook the laptop section and let the whole bag go through the Xray machine without taking out my laptop
- Waterfield Finn Wallet – I’ve been using a Waterfield zippered wallet every day since 2005, but now it lives in my bag with extra cards that I don’t use very often. The Trayvax wallet lives in my front pocket.
- Trayvax Summit minimalist wallet – This is my current favorite minimalist wallet that has quickly turned into my primary wallet because it is small enough to stay in my front pocket all day without poking me.
Other Geek Gear:
- SCOTTEVEST Lola Jacket – I like this jacket because it’s comfortable and has a billion pockets.
- RoboReel Power Cord System – Power driven retractable extension cord holder.
- MagKey Magnetic Smart Key Holder – Small magnets that stick on your keys to hold them together without rattling
My Favorite Android Apps:
- WakeVoice – Great alarm clock app for Android that speaks the time, weather and news headlines and can be stopped with a hand gesture.
- Spotify – My current favorite audio streaming app. I switched to Pandora for awhile but have been really enjoying Spotify because it’s free and you can listen to any song or album instead of a “random” selection of similar songs.
- Pandora – I like to use Pandora in my car instead of the radio. It helps me find new artists and songs.
- Tasker – Automation app.
- Words with Friends – This is pretty much the only game I play. I’m not that good, but I still enjoy it.
- Pure Calendar – Calendar widget that can be customized.
- Nova Launcher Prime – I’m never happy with stock anything, so this app let’s me tweak my phone’s interface.
- Keep – Great little basic note and list making app that syncs across devices and allows for real time collaboration