Updated on 11/05/15
Hey folks, here’s my ever evolving listing of the gear (and other favorite things) that I use on a daily basis. Each category has been sorted in order of usage. The most used item is on top. I’m also posting regular gadget diary posts and EDC updates where I talk about the gadgets I’m using and adventures I’m having on any particular day.
Smartphone and Related Accessories:
- LG G3 Android smartphone – I have been using this phone since 08/2014 and am ready to upgrade to something new. I have ordered a Google Nexus 6P but am still waiting for it to arrive. I’m not sure if I’ll keep it as I think it’s going to be huge compared to the LG G3, but we’ll see.
- TYLT VÜ Wireless Charger review – Qi wireless charging stand that I use on the night stand next to my bed.
- Nokia DT-910 Wireless Charging Stand – I have 2 of these. One in my office and one on my desk at my day job.
- KeyShair Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse sharing adapter – Handy little USB adapter that lets you use your PC or Mac’s keyboard and mouse to control an Android or iOS device (keyboard only for iOS).
Computers and Accessories:
- Apple 13″ MacBook Pro with Retina display – I use this computer for everything from gadgeteer work, couch surfing to travelling.
- LandingZone DOCK – I use this dock to connect my MacBook Pro to my LG monitor and other accessories. It makes it so easy to grab and go without having to disconnect individual cables.
- Samsung Galaxy S Tab 10.5 – This 32GB tablet lives on my coffee table and I use almost every day to play Cookie Jam, check email and do surfing, etc.
- Logitech V470 Bluetooth Cordless Laser Mouse – I use this with my Macbook Air. I like the smaller size and fact that it doesn’t require me to plug in a USB dongle. The down side is that it sometimes I have to manually reset/pair it because it will lose connection after I wake up my laptop.
Other Office Equipment:
- LG 21:9 UltraWide IPS LED monitor (29EA73) – 29 inches of widescreen goodness!
- Epson Artisan 800 All-in-One Printer – I’m ready to upgrade and am just waiting for the Brother HL-3170CDW laser printer to go on sale through Amazon.
- Coalesse Power Pod – Power “strip” cool enough to put on your desk instead of hiding it underneath.
Cameras and Related Gear:
- Canon 70D DSLR, Canon 430EX II speed light, Canon ST-E2 wireless flash remote – This is the setup that I use for all my Gadgeteer review pics.
- Eye-Fi Wireless SD Card – If you take a lot of pix and don’t have one of these yet, get it now. Trust me!
Audio / Video Home Theater Gear:
- Roku 2 XS – I’m using this streaming media player for watching free movies and shows with my Amazon Prime Instant Video account and Netflix. It’s tiny, silent and never seems to have a hiccup.
- Dropcam Pro – I keep an eye on my house with this remote Wifi camera. The web interface doesn’t seem to work well anymore though, so I’m looking for a replacement camera.
- DUNU TITAN 1 in-ear earphones – Current favorite earphones. I usually hate in-ear style buds, but these are half in-ear and are more like earbuds. They are very comfortable and sound amazing. They come with a nice plastic storage box too.
- VicTsing Portable USB Bluetooth Audio Music Streaming Receiver Adapter – I am using this adapter to stream audio from my LG G3 to my MINI Cooper stereo. It works great and doesn’t require a 12V power adapter. I can plug it into the USB port in my car.
- Satechi Bluetooth Media Button – I have this button stuck on the emergency brake of my MINI Cooper. It’s easier (and safer) to use it to change volume and move between tracks when I’m listening to music on my way to and from work.
- Magellan MiVue 658 HD dash cam – Best dash cam I’ve tested so far. It has the best image quality and even has GPS and WiFi built in.
- Homemade leather Field Notes cover – I made this myself. It can hold 3 Field Notes notebooks without needing elastic bands like Midori covers.
- Uniball Jetstream – My favorite ink pens. They put down a smooth thin line that never skips and they don’t cost an arm and a leg.
- Moleskine Evernote Smart notebook –
- D’Addario NS Micro Clip-On Tuner – My favorite clip-on tuner for my ukuleles.
- LED Lenser P7 LED Flashlight (8407) – This is my current quick grab flashlight.
- Coast LED Lenser LED Lantern (TT7105CP) – I used to grab this one whenever our power went out at home, but now that we have a whole house generator, I rarely need it. It’s still using the original batteries!
- Photon X-Light Micro – Keychain flashlight that I keep in my messenger bag. It’s tiny but bright!
Gear Bags, Pouches, Cases, Wallets and other items of holding:
- Timbuk2 Custom Laptop Messenger Bag – I prefer traditional messenger style bags and this one is roomy and looks great. I’ve been using one for years now. I recently replaced the one shown in the linked review due to damaging it. The one I have now is made of waxed canvas with a Blue stripe.
- Timbuk2 X-Small Classic Messenger Bag – (not shown above) I use this one while on vacation or a day of shopping.
- Waterfield Finn Wallet – I’ve been using a Waterfield zippered wallet every day since 2005. I recently updated to their Finn wallet.
- Waterfield Outback Duffel bag – My travel bag for road trips
- Kensington iPad mini cover – My current favorite iPad mini case although I rarely use my iPad mini these days.
- Col. Littleton Front Pocket Wallet – My current favorite minimalist / travel wallet when I don’t want to carry a bag and have a jacket with pockets.
Other Geek Gear:
- SCOTTEVEST Lola Jacket – I like this jacket because it’s comfortable and has a billion pockets.
- RoboReel Power Cord System – Power driven retractable extension cord holder.
- MagKey Magnetic Smart Key Holder – Small magnets that stick on your keys to hold them together without rattling
My Favorite Android Apps:
- WakeVoice – Great alarm clock app for Android that speaks the time, weather and news headlines and can be stopped with a hand gesture.
- Spotify – My current favorite audio streaming app. I switched to Pandora for awhile but have been really enjoying Spotify because it’s free and you can listen to any song or album instead of a “random” selection of similar songs.
- Tasker – Automation app.
- Words with Friends – This is pretty much the only game I play. I’m not that good, but I still enjoy it.
- Pure Calendar – Calendar widget that can be customized.
- Nova Launcher Prime – I’m never happy with stock anything, so this app let’s me tweak my phone’s interface.
- Keep – Great little basic note and list making app that syncs across devices and allows for real time collaboration