Safety

Living here in Texas, I sometimes hear news of a child dying tragically in a hot car. This kind of news is incredibly heart wrenching, but Bishop Curry V, a 10-year-old boy from McKinney, Texas has invented a device that could potentially save children from such a tragedy. He had heard of a child’s death… Read More

This past Thursday, Jeanne had surgery to remove an angry gallbladder. When we got home after the surgery, we had a little trouble getting her out of my MINI Cooper without causing her pain because my car sits so low to the ground and she had to use her core muscles to help her stand… Read More

When several people use the same faucet, you never know what water temperature you might experience when it’s your turn. With the LightInTheBox Temperature Sensitive Single Handle Centerset LED Lavatory Faucet, you no longer have to whip your hand in and out and risk scalding your skin to see if the water might be too… Read More

The Ztylus Stinger looks like a handy gadget for your vehicle because it not only allows you to charge two USB devices at the same time but if you get trapped in your car due to an accident or some other reason, you can use the Stinger to shatter one of your side windows and… Read More

Every summer we read tragic stories about children dying from heat-related causes when their parents or caretakers forgot them in the backseat of their car. According to the company Rear View Safety, 29 children have died from vehicular heatstroke in 2016. Even with the windows cracked, the temperature inside of a car can reach 125… Read More

Most of us who bike, work and live in places where we have to interact constantly with motorized vehicular traffic. Since it’s very important for the drivers to know you are present, safety reflectors are a part of almost every bike sold. And most of them are cheap plastic things that get easily damaged, look… Read More

The GEKO Smart Whistle is a personal safety device that will send your pre-defined contact list an SMS message, email or phone call with your location when you press the button or blow into it for more than two seconds. You can also send them an audio recording if you’re unable to speak. After deactivating… Read More

Do you have multiple smoke and carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home? If not, stop reading this and go buy some. Then come back and finish reading this article. If you’ve installed several throughout your home, then good job. Your family is now protected. Or are they? Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors can mean… Read More

Have you or someone you know ever been caught in a rip current while swimming on the beach? If so, you know that it can carry you out toward deep waters surprisingly fast. To get out of the rip current you are supposed to swim parallel to the shore then swim toward the shore; but… Read More

For many of us, summer means ample time spent in or on the water. Whether it’s taking a dip in the pool, catching a wave, or casting a line, summer and water activities go hand in hand. Regrettably, many of us fail to take appropriate safety measures when taking in the summer fun. I’m sure… Read More

As I’ve stated before, I love smart home products. I’m not entirely sure if it’s laziness or the cool factor, but I love having the ability to control things from my smartphone. Nest recently announced a redesign of its Nest Protect fire alarm. I have the original Nest Protect at home and was excited to… Read More

You want to have a smarter home – one that can notify you of events happening at home through your mobile device – but you don’t have purchasing all new equipment in your budget.  You can make your current carbon monoxide and fire detectors smarter just by using a smart battery from Roost.  They say… Read More

We have reviewed quite a few surveillance cameras for your home like the DropCam, but this is the first camera I’ve seen that has been designed especially for use inside your car. No, the InfantTech Always in View Baby Monitor is not a dashcam which points outside your windshield to record your driving adventures, this… Read More

As any parent knows, there’s a bit of danger associated with very young children trying to wash their hands on their own.  When my daughter was very young, we had to keep a footstool in the bathroom so she could reach to wash her hands – so there’s a falling danger.  There’s also a scalding… Read More

When we moved into our condo, the first thing we did was replace the deadbolt – and that’s despite living in a building with security locks on all exterior doors and the elevators, plus a doorman stationed at the door 24/7.  But what if you live in a rental where you can’t change the locks… Read More