You Ask, We Find – Leather “Watch” Band for iPod nano (6th gen)

A couple of days ago, Julie posted a news item about the NanoWatch silicone straps for the new iPod nano.  One of our readers – Mark Rosengarten – said he was holding out for a leather wrist strap.  A company called iLoveHandles has a black genuine leather band they call the Rock Band.  This strap has a notch in it to accomodate the nano’s clip to allow the nano to sit centered on the band.  The Rock Band strap for nano is $19.95.

Posted in: iOS, News, Watches and Clocks
  • Julie September 23, 2010, 7:34 am

Janet you are the master of gadget web ferreting!

• Gabe September 23, 2010, 10:05 am

I like the idea… nifty way to carry the device.
    However, I can’t get past the thought of having my ears connected to my wrist by a cord… Wouldn’t you end up pulling the earbuds out when you moved around?

• Rob O. September 23, 2010, 11:12 am

I like the idea of this but I’m really anxious to see where this concept can go style-wise. The plain band is a little, well, plain, but the silicon straps are a bit too Swatch-y.

• Janet Cloninger September 23, 2010, 12:01 pm

@Julie Thanks! I have actually had people ask me to track down things for them because I don’t give up until I find whatever I’m looking for!

@Rob O. I think it would be nice if they offered the leather band in colors. Although this black band would be pretty with the red nano showing the black face.

@Gabe It’s too bad the nano doesn’t have built-in Bluetooth. I was searching for Bluetooth adapters for iPods, and I found someone named xraytech who said he was using a RocketFish BT adapter with some BT headphones with success. It looks a little clunky, but you’d only have to plug it in while you are listening to music, and it’s better than a long cord dangling from your ear to your wrist. You can even see a picture of it here:

• Rob O. September 23, 2010, 12:28 pm

I have some great Sony Bluetooth headphones (DR-BT21IK) that came with a Bluetooth transmitter that worked great with my old iPod Mini and 2nd gen Nano. I suspect that it would also work with this new 6th gen Nano. It’s considerably narrower than the Rocketfish, although a bit longer.

• Janet Cloninger September 23, 2010, 12:31 pm

@Rob O. Somebody needs to make a strap with a BT transmitter built-in.

• Gareth Jones September 23, 2010, 4:33 pm

Hows about apple just include bluetooth in the nano?

• Mark Rosengarten September 23, 2010, 5:47 pm

Oh, great. Now I have to spend money! 🙂

Just got a brand-new condition Gateway 2000 Handbook 486 today from a hobbyist on eBay. It’s interesting to play with Windows 3.11 again after fifteen years! It cost as much as a Nano, but it came with absolutely everything, and everything was in perfect condition.

• Janet Cloninger September 23, 2010, 10:17 pm

@Mark Rosengarten You know you want it. It’s only $20! (Then there’s the matter of the iPod nano…)

• Liz September 24, 2010, 8:32 am

I have a few different colors in the nylon watch bands by -I don’t wear leather, and I love color, so these were the best choice for me. To address a few comments – I wear my earbuds and bose headphones while wearing the watch and they both have enough give that it doesn’t feel awkward. I love wearing the nano as a watch while being able to use all of it’s other features (music, photos, pedometer!)

• Keith September 24, 2010, 11:15 am

I’d sacrifice half the battery life for bluetooth….but Apple will never put that in like the other manufacturers do. Anything to get a dangly coord off my wrist. Cool toy though.

• Bill September 25, 2010, 7:28 pm

check out these nice leather ones… pretty awesome

• Mario July 20, 2011, 12:51 pm

Yeah I have to agree with some of you that this band is a bit plain and would like to see this concept grow. With that in mind I did find some really cool nano watch bands on etsy that I just currently purchased –

• Gregory August 3, 2011, 11:26 pm

Is there a mini speaker that can plug into the iPod Nano wjlhen it is mounted on the watchband?