≡ Menu > Menu

Verizon Announces the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) is the successor to the original Galaxy Tab which Verizon launched about 2 years ago. The Galaxy Tab 2 is a 7-inch tablet with 4G LTE, 1.2 GHz dual-core processor, Bluetooth 4.0, 8GB RAM and powered by Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It’s enterprise ready and has multimedia features along with an affordable price. Customers will be required to pay full retail for this tablet because they are no longer being offered with 2-year contracts and are now sold on a month to month contract. This one is priced at $349.99 and will be available on 8/17. The Galaxy Tab 2 has features that my Google Nexus 7 lacks and I wish it had: LTE, microSD slot.

• Richard August 15, 2012, 11:07 am

Anyone aware of the pricing of the month by month contract in the USA.

• Julie August 15, 2012, 11:11 am

@Richard if you’re using the Share Everything plan, it’s $10. I’ll see if I can find out what it is if you’re not using that plan.

• Richard August 15, 2012, 11:20 am

Thanks Julie – and aapologies, I should have looked harder. The standalone plans are $20 for 1GB and $30 for 2GB. There are other higher ones also. But when I look on the Verizon site, it says that it is the original Tab running 2.2 Froyo (though upgradable I am sure to 2.3 gingerbread, but not to ICS). Also it is a pre-owned Tab. There are other Tab available – the 10.1 and 7.7, but at much higher prices. Do you have insider information… as Gadgeteer in Chief I would not doubt the additional information :-)

• Richard August 15, 2012, 11:36 am

Okay, I see the press release now. Maybe they have not updated their website yet – still not showing the Tab 2. I would imagine the plans would be the same as current, so $20 for 2GB seems reasonable and so does the $349 for a Tab 2 with ICS. Perhaps not rocking as much as a Nexus 7 at $199, but then you are restricted to wifi only with Google’s Jelly Bean offering. So an extra $150 to cut th wifi strings, plus $20 per month extra, or $10 as you say for the Share Everything Plan. You can see that I am tempted…

• Julie August 15, 2012, 11:41 am

The news was under embargo till 9:15am this morning, so it’s possible that they haven’t updated their site yet. I’d be tempted too if I didn’t already have an iPad with 4G.

• Richard August 16, 2012, 6:35 pm

Verizon still does not have it up on their site. Oh well.

• Julie August 16, 2012, 7:50 pm

It will probably show up tomorrow when it they start selling them.

• Richard August 17, 2012, 11:00 am

And there it is just as the lady said. Prime place, first on the list of android tablets going for $349. Interestingly the older Tab 1 is still for sale at the same price – I wonderif they might be discounted sometime also.

• Julie August 17, 2012, 11:06 am