USB connectors are now reversible like Apple’s Lightning connectors

{ 8 comments }

remax-usb

Say what you will about Apple’s choice to use proprietary cables with their devices instead of generic micro USB cables, but their Lightning connectors are one of their best innovations. Lightning connectors can be inserted in either orientation making them simple and quick to plug in. Now the other end of the cable has the same capability. REMAX KingKong Lightning and micro USB cables have been designed to allow the USB end of the cable to be inserted in USB ports in either orientation. Finally, no more trying to insert the cable only to realize that you have it turned the wrong way. Bout darned time! These REMAX KingKong cables are 39 inches long and are available in black or white and either micro USB or Lightning versions. They are priced at $14 each and are available from Brando.

Check out this animation of the cable:

Reversible.USB

Posted in: Cables, Batteries and Chargers, News
  • Julie Strietelmeier September 19, 2014, 10:08 am

Test

• johnkes September 19, 2014, 12:46 pm

These fit into old school USB ports?

• Julie Strietelmeier September 19, 2014, 12:58 pm

@johnkes yes they do… or they are supposed to. Brando is sending me one to try out. So more info soon. I actually tried another brand of these not too long ago but they were difficult to insert and remove from the ports. This one looks like it’s easier – at least from the animated picture…

• Andrew Baker September 19, 2014, 1:09 pm

Interesting, This will save me 66% of my USB plugging time.

• Andrew Baker September 19, 2014, 1:24 pm

I’m sticking with that number. Because not only am I wrong more than 50% of the time. I’ll often have it right, but it not go in, turn it over, still not go in, and then turn it over AGAIN and THEN it goes in.

I’m sticking with 66%

• Mikael September 19, 2014, 1:28 pm

Seems like those guys are big time violating a patent.

• p51d007 September 19, 2014, 2:47 pm

Could have used the micro usb version. My recently retired Note1 smartphone was difficult in the car, EVEN STOPPED with my poor eyesight to figure which way was up, to the point that I got REAL good at replacing the micro usb/antenna board, to the tune of 4 of them in 3 years.
    The replacement phone isn’t a big deal, 4,000mAH batteries last a few days.
    Will be nice when theses get out in mass consumption.