Like many hobbyists, I rely on a good soldering iron. I’ve been soldering since the 3rd grade, and I’ve had quite a few soldering irons over the years. I’m currently using a Weller soldering station that I’ve had over 20 years (still going strong), so when I had a chance to try a new Weller soldering iron with built-in LEDs, I jumped at the opportunity. I received the 25W Standard Duty soldering iron.
Billed as a high-performance soldering iron for hobbyists, the new Weller soldering irons also received a red dot award for product design.
- Three LED lights for limited application shadowing
- Round Co-molded soft grip handle design for easy tip positioning
- Triangular handle area for maximum tip control
- Stainless steel barrel and heater
- UL listed – cUL version available
- Excellent quality consumer iron 8 1/4″ (210mm) long
- Light duty iron, (25watts) for joining 16 AWG wire or smaller
- Use on small electrical/electronic assemblies, appliance repair, etc.
- IMPORTANT: Use only Weller® tips
Inside the packaging you’ll find the soldering iron, a little user’s guide, and an iron stand to keep the hot tip off your work surface.
Here’s the iron resting on the stand.
This soldering iron features a rubberized grip and a three-sided shape in the middle.
Here you can see the three white LEDs that light up your work area. Pretty neat! There’s no on-off switch, which is just fine. Bonus: When the lights are on, the iron is also on! Yes, I’ve burned myself brushing my hand against a still-hot iron!
You’ll also notice the triangular shape a little better here. This really helps prevent the iron from rolling away at the worst possible time. Fantastic!
I found the new Weller SP25NUS LED-lit soldering iron comfortable and practical. Sure, the included stand is a little light-weight, but at a price of $14.99 to $27.99 (about $16.99 as shown) for the soldering iron, you can afford to get a decent soldering iron stand. I won’t be giving up my veteran Weller soldering station, but this will be my go-to second soldering iron.