When a bumper case is just too much

radius-iphone5-case

I’m not sure I see the benefits in this case, but apparently a lot of people at Kickstarter did when they funded this project at more than 200% of the goal.  The Radius case for iPhone 5 from mod-3 takes minimalism to a new level.  It covers only the corners of the phone, with a thin X of aluminum across the back to hold the four corner pieces in place.  The designers at mod-3 say they found that the most frequent damage to their “naked” phones occurred at the corners, so they designed a case to protect only the corners.  The Radius has been completely funded, so you can no longer pledge at Kickstarter, but you can pre-order a case at the BiteMyApple website for $69.99.  It’s available in color schemes to match either the black (slate aluminum with slate, cyan, “polish”, or red corners) or the white iPhone 5 (polished aluminum with red, cyan, slate, or “polish” corners).  Shipment is expected in early March 2013.

Posted in: Cases, Covers, iPhone, iPad, iPod, News

7 comments… add one

• Yaniv C January 21, 2013, 2:11 pm

$70 for a case that protects the corners….. hmmmmm… maybe they should change the name of the site to kickedinthehead? :)

• Julie January 21, 2013, 2:23 pm

@Yaniv C Janet and I both had that same thought ;)

• Philippe Radley January 21, 2013, 2:37 pm

Two points: it looks as if it would be irritating to hold (you’ll wind up with an “x” on your palm) and it’s ugly!

• Julie January 21, 2013, 2:43 pm

I actually think it looks pretty cool… But I can’t see how it can protect the iPhone. The corners would have to be thick shock absorbing plastic to do any good.

• Roger January 22, 2013, 12:54 am

The benefit is this. Most broken screens don’t come from falling flat. The break happens when the iPhone hits the ground on a corner and stresses the glass. This probably absorbs the shock from the corner, preventing a broken screen.

• chriszzz January 22, 2013, 5:43 am

And it does not protect against scratches on the back and the sides. It’s like getting half a case with one-third usefulness at triple the price. No thanks, though I agree that it does look pretty cool and is bound to be a conversation starter ( and the conversation ends with “That’s the dumbest case I’ve ever seen”).

• Drew Baker January 22, 2013, 3:57 pm

Looks like it would make a nice permanent kiosk, or vehicle mount. Tho I wouldn’t ever have a need for one, since I doubt I’ll ever own an iPhone. (Rabble Rabble Rabble), but it does look nice.