Trioh! is a Flashlight that Automatically Turns on when the Power goes Off

When the power goes out, does it take you awhile to find a flashlight? How about a flashlight that has batteries that actually work? Before I got my generator, I would have to go down the stairs in the dark and then fumble around trying to feel for the battery powered lantern on the shelf in my office. Not safe and definitely not geeky enough. Enter the Trioh!, which takes an ordinary flashlight and turns it into a device with 3 in 1 functionality. First of all, it’s a sexy looking light with a flared base that can sit on a shelf and fit in with almost any decor. The great part is that the base charges the Trioh! through induction. It gets even better… The light has the ability to know when the power has gone out and automatically lights up so you can quickly walk to it and grab it. The rechargeable batteries will power the Trioh! for up to 12hrs of constant use and in emergency mode, the light will pulse so that it will last for up to 3 days. The Trioh! is a Kickstarter project that is currently seeking $90,000 of funding. They are already halfway there, but need your help to make their goal. If you’re interested in getting your own Trioh!, a $69 pledge will secure one for you.

Posted in: Home, Kitchen, News

7 comments… add one

• JT July 24, 2012, 6:09 pm

If you just want the functionality without the cool design you should check out the “eco-i-lite.” Same idea, but it sits in a base that acts as a night light. The emergency light feature came in handy when we lost power during a bad storm last year. I’ve only seen it available in a 2 pack selling for around $30 on Amazon, Costco and other places.

• Kim July 24, 2012, 7:32 pm

how exactly does it determine the difference between a dark room, and the power being off?

• Julie July 24, 2012, 8:41 pm

@Kim The base which is plugged into the wall, senses when the power goes off, not when the room is dark.

• RainyDayInterns July 24, 2012, 10:14 pm

Vessel’s Candela rechargeable LED lights have been doing this for years. We also have their Luau lantern…which is even more useful.

• Sandee Cohen July 25, 2012, 9:50 am

I have a small suggestion for dealing with these Kickstarter projects.

It gets me a little disappointed when I see the “tease” for a product in the newsletter. And then, when I have a little more than halfway through I read that it is a kickstarter project. And there is no word on when they might be fully funded. And even if they are fully funded there are projects that don’t fulfill “investments” (future orders) because they are overwhelmed by success.

Would it be too much to put the word “Kickstarter” somewhere in the headline? For instance, this article might read:

Trioh! (Kickstarter) is a Flashlight that Automatically Turns on when the Power goes Off

That way I could judge whether or not to jump immediately to the post. It would also alert me that it isn’t a true review but a press release about the project.

• Julie July 25, 2012, 5:00 pm

@Sandee We’ll start making it clear at the beginning of the news item that it’s a Kickstarter project.

• Andrew H. July 27, 2012, 6:23 pm

I second @RainyDayInterns in saying that this is not a new idea at all—while it’s nice to see that more options are coming, there are already existing products that does it (no need to wait for the Kickstarter project to fund and for manufacturing to happen).

The Candela series was first (I had one I think six years ago). I guess Oxo bought the Candela line, and you can find a product page here: http://www.oxo.com/c-100-lighting.aspx

Philips also has a similar product (the Imageo series).