≡ Menu > Menu

Find My Car Smarter for iPhone

If you have trouble finding where you parked, there’s an app – and a dongle – for that.  The Find My Car Smarter device and an iPhone app (for iPhone 4S only) can mark where you parked your car and help you get back there.  The Find My Car Smarter Bluetooth Smart device ($25, or $30 with car power adapter) plugs into your car’s cigarette lighter, and the app on your iPhone (works with 4S only) notices when it loses power when you turn off your car and marks the location.  The Find My Car Smarter app ($0.99) can show you the location of your car, how far away from it you are, and how long you’ve been parked there.  With Dropbox syncing, a group can share information about a communal car.  You can also set automatic reminders for parking meters and street sweeping schedules.

• Gregg May 16, 2012, 4:20 pm

I imagine if you are having problems finding your car, you also may have problems remembering where you left your phone.

• Steve May 17, 2012, 3:59 am

This assumes that your cigarette lighter socket is powered down when the ignition is turned off. Many (mine among them) are permanently live.

• Janet Cloninger May 17, 2012, 8:10 am

@Steve You could unplug the Bluetooth Smart dongle when you turn off the engine.

• FMC May 18, 2012, 12:03 pm

@Steve we set the Bluetooth transmit power to about 10 feet so as you walk away from your car your location will still be saved.

• Steve May 18, 2012, 12:19 pm

@FMC: good point, I hadn’t considered that. Mind you, the position would be out by 10 feet in that case ;)

• FMC May 18, 2012, 1:36 pm

@Greg we have a feature where your phone will play a tone & vibrate when you park to help you remember to take your phone with you.

• Fred May 19, 2012, 5:27 pm

There is a free app called “BringMeBack” that works not just on the iphone 4S. You just start it, say save location and a tab on “show parking location” shows you on a map where you left it. No additional hardware necessary. If you are saving the position on the app before you are moving away from your car that is :p

Probably useful when you are in an area that you dont know.

• fmc May 21, 2012, 1:03 am

@Fred

BringMeBack like all other iPhone “Find My Car” apps require to take your phone out your pocket and hit a remember that I parked here button. Find My Car Smarter uses the Bluetooth Smart radio in order to alleviate you from having to remember to mark down your parking location. You only launch our app after you’ve lost your car, not before.