≡ Menu ≡ Menu

Writing instrument that never needs sharpened and never runs out of ink

It’s not really a pencil and it’s not really a pen. The Beta Inkless Pen designed by Axel Weinbrecht, is a writing tool with a tiny metal tip made of lead that unlike regular lead pencils, will not wear down with use. It lays down a grey line that doesn’t smudge or erase and can be used in any temperature or weather. You can get one of your own for $27.95 at Jac Zagoory.

• eClipse December 11, 2011, 12:05 pm

Never needs “sharpened”?

• RainyDayInterns December 11, 2011, 12:38 pm

We look at a similar one back in 2007:

Leonardo da Vinci actually used something similar to make some of his drawings. If you want to know how silverpoint medium works, check out this link:

• Jhon December 11, 2011, 1:29 pm

I’m kind of hoping they change “runs” to “runned”.

• Vladimir Estragon December 11, 2011, 2:26 pm

Swell idea. Brings new meaning to the term “poison pen.” Hey, how about a version that uses depleted uranium instead of lead? We could start using up all those nuclear waste products lying around.

• Mikey Pizano December 11, 2011, 4:16 pm

Lead is far to soft for this use.

• Eric Johnston December 12, 2011, 12:29 pm

You can’t simply create matter – if something is being deposited on the paper, then something is being worn off the tip of the pencil.

Unless you believe in alchemy.

• RainyDayInterns December 12, 2011, 2:46 pm

Eric is, of course, correct.

Eventually the tip will wear down, but just very very slowly when compared to graphite/clay pencils.

BTW…lead was used, along with gold and silver, for the same purpose.

• Ken Schoenberg December 12, 2011, 5:05 pm

@Eric so the energy to matter replicator I purchased from the Needful Things store doesn’t work? I hope I can return it!

Seriously, I can’t believe the tip is lead…at least not pure lead as that would wear out pretty quickly and also have some other issues…including health safety concerns.

Of course, when I was a child I thought I was supposed to get chips for my lunch from the windowsill…