Keep Baby Safe with Carkoon

Is this the ultimate high tech baby capsule?  The Carkoon is a child restraint seat made of Kevlar to protect from side impact.  In the case of an accident, a Kevlar airbag deploys to protect the child from any flying debris.  It also protects from smoke should there be a fire, and it has enough air for 20 minutes. An emergency beacon transmitter  is also activated to advise authorities of the incident.

Personally having been through 3 kids, I’m not all that convinced about this product.  I mean what happens if the accident isn’t that bad and the shield and beacon deploys, and what happens if poor old bubs in inside for longer than 20 minutes?

The prototype is still undergoing testing in Britain’s Transport Research Laboratory before it’s ready to ship, though they’re claiming it may ship as early  2013 for £499 (approx $800US).

Posted in: Car Gear, Kid Gadgets, News

6 comments… add one

• Andy Jacobs April 20, 2012, 8:38 am

“You will, therefore, be taken to the Dune Sea and cast into the Pit of Carkoon, the nesting place of the all powerful Sarlacc.”

Sorry, had to do it. ;-)

• Uncle Jake April 20, 2012, 8:45 am

My thoughts exactly!!! ;-)

• Freddy April 20, 2012, 12:57 pm

This is what will let Misato Katsuragi survive Second Impact.

• Ken Schoenberg April 20, 2012, 6:08 pm

They should just recall this idea before it has to be recalled. Let’s see.. a Kevlar air bag near a child….potential problem. What if the child’s hands/feet are in the way.
    The airtight thing is also over the top…unless this thing is meant to be fitted in a space shuttle.
    There’s a lot of room for improvement in current child’s seats…I’m just not sure these guy are headed in the right direction.

• Ian Lim April 20, 2012, 6:14 pm

@Ken – Agreed, technology for the sake of technology ? The Kevlar strengthening for side impact protection gets a big tick from me, but the cocoon idea…mmmmm.

@Andy – funny how two completely unrelated items come together. I’m just off to the patent office to patent my new baby protector, you freeze them in carbonite ala Han Solo before you put them in the car :)

• Andrew Baker April 20, 2012, 10:30 pm

My first thought was not starwars, but “Demolition man”

interesting idea, but ouch, what if an arm is hanging out.