Ever since I posted my Chumby review last week, I’ve been thinking about features that I’d include in an ultimate alarm clock if I could have everything that I wanted. I had actually goofed around with an idea of creating a clock a year or two ago, but didn’t get very far. My whole idea centered around my Mac, which would do all the work in my basement, but then send all the info to my bedroom via WiFi at alarm time. The chumby review has me considering revisiting the project again. Here are some of the feature ideas that I have…
1. Wake up by playing a tune from a specific playlist in iTunes – I already wrote an applescript to do this.
2. Play the local national news – I think I can get this from NPR, but I would like to investigate other methods of grabbing a quick audio update of the national news on demand.
3. Play the local weather forecast (audio) – I have this covered.
4. Speak any calendar events and to-dos that I have scheduled for the day.
5. Speak the current time at specific intervals during the wake-up cycle.
6. Interface for changing the clock settings will be a PDA or phone with WiFi – Settings will be through a simple web interface.
7. All of the audio will be sent from a Mac in another room, to speakers in the bedroom – An Airport Express might accomplish this task.
Those are the main features I’d like to have to start with. As you will notice, I don’t really care about displaying information on a screen except for a way of changing the alarms. I really only want a very simple clock readout. All the other main features will be audible. I know I could use a laptop in the bedroom to do all of this, but I don’t want to use a device that has a fan or makes any other noises (hard disk access, etc.). I want it to be completely silent until it’s time to wake me up. :o)
What features would you choose if you could create your own ultimate alarm clock? Share your ideas.