The BakBone was developed by an MD, but you don’t have to be a doctor to use one

bakbone-for-tablets

There are various attachments for the back of tablets designed to give you a better grip on those slippery little suckers.  They may work fine in most situations, but they aren’t always easily cleaned.  When you’re a doctor using a tablet for data records, viewing X-rays, and sharing information with patients, you need to have a firm grip on the tablet.  Most importantly, you need to be able to clean that grip so that germs don’t get passed from patient to patient.  Dr. Paul M. Webber, an emergency room physician, developed the BakBone so that it could be disinfected with standard cleaning solutions like alcohol wipes or hand sanitizer.  The BakBone requires you to adhere a rare earth magnet to the back of your tablet or case.  After the magnet is secure, you can pop the ring portion off the tablet when you aren’t wearing it or leave it on and use it as a stand.  It works in an educational environment, in the office, or for personal use as well as it does in the medical environment.  It’s available now in off-white, graphite, or pink for $34.95.  Volume discounts are available.

Posted in: News, Tablets, Ultra Portables

• Betty Widerski June 10, 2013, 9:54 pm

Hmm – I need to check the rear surface, but this looks like it would work well for my melodica!

• Carlos U. June 11, 2013, 2:35 am

Maybe it’s the comic book geek in me, but at first glance I thought these were DC lantern rings. Pretty neat.

• Julie June 11, 2013, 7:30 am

@Carlos U. They remind you of the Green Lantern’s ring and they remind me of a baby’s pacifier ;)

• Carlos U. June 11, 2013, 5:00 pm

@Julie Ha, now that I’ve seen them as baby pacifiers, I can’t unsee them :)

• John Kes June 12, 2013, 12:56 pm

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight …

• Cazi June 12, 2013, 2:43 pm

I love the design and colours of these especially the purple one.
    Is the magnet ok to be used against a tablet, I know some magnets can cause problems, maybe as its a rare earth one its ok?
    Yes Im seeing the Green lanterns ring too…lol. ;-)

• Janet Cloninger June 12, 2013, 3:03 pm

@Cazi Magnets and electronics always make me nervous, but Apple puts a lot of magnets in the Smart Covers for their iPads. The iPad itself has magnets in it, too, or at least the iPad 2 did. I’ve used various magnetized covers with my iPad 2, 3rd-generation, and mini, and they’ve all been okay. I don’t know how other tablets might react to magnets.

• John Kes June 12, 2013, 3:13 pm

I have found that magnets confuse the compass in my iPad2, but everything else is unaffected.