Content Nav Menu

New iMacs with a whopping 27″ display – Out comes my credit card

on October 20, 2009 3:26 pm

imac27Today Apple announced new hardware and the most exciting part for me was the new ginormous 27″ iMacs. I’ve been dealing with a sick 3yr old iMac for several months now and recently wrestled with the decision to buy a laptop or another desktop. After today’s revelations, I’m definitely going to continue to use a desktop as my main computer and will be ordering a new quad-core 27″ iMac (and if I fall to temptation, maybe even a Macbook Pro to go along with it). I haven’t purchased anything ‘big’ for myself in quite a long time, so I’m going with the high end 27″ model, with the quad-core processor and 8GB of RAM. I’m going to have to wait a few weeks to get it though as the Apple store is saying they won’t be available till November. Anyone else treating themselves today?

Comments

1. 1
    Julie says:

I just pulled the trigger. My credit card is gasping… $2,768.09!

2. 2

It is a beautiful machine. I would love to have one as well to replace my MacBook Pro.

I am planning on getting an iMac as soon as is practical for me.

3. 3
    ferris209 says:

Congrats!! I really want to buy a Mac, I just cannot get around the “Mac Tax”. Even if I do decide the bite the Mac bullet, like you I will have a hard time deciding between a desktop or a laptop.

4. 4
    Julie says:

I was very close to also going completely nuts and getting a 13″ MBP. I was able to restrain myself though – for now ;)

5. 5
    Stevef says:

You need to save some cash in case Apple produces those new tablets…

6. 6
    Julie says:

@Stevef That won’t be till next year sometime… :)

7. 7
    Andrew Baker says:

SteveF I have a few Mac tablets (Newtons) now if you want. I can not justify that kind of money right now, but I sure can drool.

8. 8
    Andy Chen says:

Yay! Julie’s got shiny Mac goodness on the way!!!

9. 9
    ucfgrad93 says:

I would love to get one of these, but my iMac isn’t even 3 years old yet, and it is working great. I can’t justify the expense right now.

10. 10
    dronus says:

Yep ive just bought one also, see how long it takes to get downunder.. Went 16gig ram and 2Tb HDD, if you are going to do something – do it stupidly.. :)

11. 11
    Julie says:

@Andy And I’m really excited about it too! :)

12. 12
    ferris209 says:

I am in envy of you Julie! Again, Congrats!!!

13. 13
    Adam Scinto says:

That’s an awesome machine, congratulations!!

14. 14
    Jacky says:

Beautiful display, but a bit far out of my new pc budget! I wonder if the display can be bought on its own? I’ve always wanted a MAC display ever since they started making them this way.

15. 15
    Chris Mcneil says:

There’s (almost) nothing as great as waiting for the knock on the door from the man delivering the new shiny toy! I think we need some gratuitous unboxing photos, so we can share in the excitement!

16. 16
    Julie says:

@Jacky The iMac’s display is actually the housing for the CPU too. It’s all one big module. You can by an Apple Cinema display though: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB382LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4MjM1NjM

17. 17
    Julie says:

@Chris Mcneil Sure, I can do that. It’s going to be awhile though. I have no idea yet when it will ship. Apple’s order status page still just says November.

18. 18
    Adam Scinto says:

Don’t forget Julie- That 27″ model also features DisplayPort input, so you can connect a 360, PS3, Cable tuner, etc to it via a converter that’ll be available shortly. So you can use the 27″ iMac as a really hi-def TV ;)

This is only the 27″ iMac tho – No other machines do this at this time.

19. 19
    Adam Scinto says:

It’s like buying a 30″ Cinema and getting a computer for free;
    30″ Cinema = $1799 vs 27″ iMac w/DisplayPort Input = $1699…

And you’ll always be able to use the 27″ iMac as a monitor, via this input.

It’s in the specs;

“27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources (adapters sold separately).”

20. 20
    deslock says:

Congrats on the iMac! If I needed a desktop, I’d get one.

ferris209, FYI Apple offers a free-after-rebate printer if you buy online. Also, if you get the educational discounts (which is easy to do) and can wait until late Spring, Apple has an annual promotion for a free-after-rebate iPod touch. Last June, I bought my wife a 13″ MBP w/ iPod touch and printer for $1099 (I Ebayed the iPod, making the final price ~$930). A nice thing about Apple’s rebates is that you to redeem them you simply login, enter the order#, and click a button (you don’t have to enter your information or mail anything).

This is a bit tangential, but IMO with the free iPod + printer, the base 13″ MBP and base 27″ iMac ($1599) are actually reasonable compared to Windows-based models (with similar features, materials, form factors, and bundled software). Same goes for the base Mac mini ($549), and server Mac mini ($949), though these haven’t qualified for the free iPod during previous promotions.

21. 21
    Julie says:

@Adam That’s pretty cool… although I already have a 65″ TV ;)

22. 22
  23. 23
    Adam Scinto says:

It’s got 4 SO-DIMM Slots too!

24. 24
    nicky says:

wow, for that price all i i got was a 46″ LCD and a core i7 PC with pc1600 ram :]

hehe :p