REVIEW – As a Photographer and Videographer, I use several portable drives. Maintaining the integrity of my footage is critical for my business and for my clients. I am always on the lookout for a good, fast, compact and portable SSD drive with good capacity. The specs of this Sabrent Rocket Pro USB 3.2 External Aluminum SSD say that it is just what I am looking for. Let’s see!!
What is it?
The Sabrent Rocket Pro 1TB USB 3.2 External Aluminum SSD is a compact portable drive based on 3D TLC NAND Flash memory, and boasting speeds that can reach up to 1000MB/s. By design, it features low power consumption, and it works as plug-n-play with both Windows and Mac. The enclosure is equipped with a USB 3.2 Type-C connector.
What’s in the box
1 x Rocket Pro 1TB External Aluminum SSD.
1 x USB 3.2 Type-C to Type-C Cable
1 x USB 3.2 Type-C to Type-A Cable with Type-C Adapter
Design and features
- SPEED – With USB 3.2 interface, the Rocket Pro provides speeds of up to 1000MB/s, that is 9x faster than traditional external HDDs. Transfer and backup large-sized data files and 4k videos within seconds. Backward compatible with USB 3.1 and USB 3.0 at respective speed limits.
- DESIGN – Ultra-slim aluminum alloy sandblasted shell. Sleek, Durable, and Convenient. Portable yet durable, ideal for traveling.
- HEAT MANAGEMENT – Professional Aluminum Case. Designed for optimal heat dissipation and reduced power consumption.
- Supports SMART and TRIM commands. Supports ONFi 2.3, ONFi 3.0, ONFi 3.2 and ONFi 4.0 interface.
- Advanced Wear Leveling, Bad Block Management, and Over-Provision.
The drive comes in a nice metal case with a slot for the cables and the drive.
There is only connectivity on one side of the enclosure which is the USB-C port. Next to it is the power/activity LED.
This drive is Plug-n-Play and bus-powered. Once you plug it in, the blue LED power/activity light turns on.
The following screenshots showed the drive as it appears in Windows File Explorer.
I performed benchmark tests using 2 different laptops, one being about 5 years older than the other.
Laptop 1: USB-C to USB-A 2.0 – (5 years older than laptop 2)
Laptop 2: USB-C to USB-C:
The drive performs well and is quite fast even on the older laptop. I love the 1 TB capacity and I see on the Sabrent website that it is available in various sizes up to 2 TB.
What I like
- Great build quality
- Nice compact size
- Good performance
What I’d change
- Include a compact carry pouch that holds the drive and the cables. The metal case it comes in is good but bulky
- Include a manual (The manual can be downloaded so not a deal-breaker)
When I first read the specifications of this drive, I was very interested because on paper it looked like it would be a perfect fit for me. I am happy to say that it has lived up to my expectations. It is compact, available in various large capacities and performs fast and well. It is now a part of my EDC gear bag. I give it a well done and two thumbs up!!