REVIEW: In my Wuben E05 flashlight review, I established that Wuben makes good stuff. The Wuben L50 Red is an individually numbered flashlight among 2,021 units created (per the Amazon info) to commemorate the 200,000th L50 sold by Wuben. That is a lot of flashlights. But how well does it do its thing? Although red is my absolute favorite color in the spectrum, this did not influence my evaluation. Much.
What is it
The L50 Red is a medium sized rechargeable LED flashlight by Wuben.
What’s in the box
- Wuben L50 Red flashlight
- 18650 battery
- Micro-USB charging cable
- Two O-rings
- Warranty and information sheet
- Dimensions: 5.46” x 1.02”
- Battery: Lithium ion, 18650 size, 2600 mAh, 3.7 volt
- LED: OSRAM P9
- Weight with battery: 4.9 oz
- Water resistance: IP68
- Charging: Micro-USB
- Maximum brightness: 1200 lumens
- Metal pocket clip
Design and features
The Wuben L50 Red has 5 lighting modes, from 1200 lumen claimed maximum brightness to high, medium, low and strobe modes. The strobe is actually the SOS morse code, done slowly. Neither the Wuben website or Amazon indicate the lumen claim of the modes other than maximum mode.
The off-on switch is a click switch on the end-cap but also works with ‘half press’ when the light is on, to change brightness modes.
The charging port is also on the end-cap.
A red LED on the end-cap illuminates during charging. When fully charged the red LED turns off.
Installation and Setup
Remove the battery protection disc which prevents current flow, plug in the micro-USB cable, charge the battery, once it is charged, use the light.
Testing and observations
Not that it matters to me but the Amazon description says the L50 Red is one of 2,021 units, but mine is numbered 201780.
The L50 Red is a handful so I don’t consider this a ‘palm-sized’ or pocket light in the usual sense. But it isn’t an overwhelming size and can be clipped on a pocket if you find that carry method convenient.
The clip on the L50 prevents the light from rolling when it is placed horizontally on a surface. The clip is not reversible as some flashlight clips are. This light is too heavy to be a hat light.
Note the bright spot in the light beam plus the ‘spillover’ at the edge of the beam. Some prefer the beam with both the central bright spot and the edge light. I usually accept what comes in the package.
The belt holster can be attached to the belt by inserting the belt through the inner-most strap, or it can be velcro’d to a belt without having to remove your belt. See my fingers in the pic above showing both features.
I doubt we buy flashlights based on the holster but this holster is no afterthought and seems really well made. So here’s another pic of it!
What I like
- Great bright light, even at medium and high settings. Certainly bright at the 1200 lumen setting.
- Professional fit and finish. Good heft in the hand without being heavy.
- Very well made belt holster
- Thankfully Wuben leaves off the tacky, sharp, ‘tactical’ lens rings.
What I’d change
- The designation ‘Waterproof’ appears at the website and on Amazon. Water resistance is the proper term, I do believe.
- The Amazon site indicates ‘IPX6 waterproof’, but the Wuben site claims ‘IP68 waterproof’.
- I’d prefer a steady strobe mode vs. a SOS morse code flasher.
- The charging port cover sometimes flicks open when feeling for the on-off switch.
The Wuben L50 Red is a well made, medium sized light with excellent beam ‘throw’ and power to spare in its large-ish 2600 mAh battery. Features vs. price makes the L50 Red an easy recommendation.
Where to buy: Wuben (10% Discount Code – GAD15)
Source: The sample for this review was provided by Wuben