First you could buy them faded, then ripped, and now covered in mud. Wait, what?!

In a new series that I’m going to call “Wait, what?!”, comes PRPS Barracuda Straight Leg Jeans. Jeans, who cares right? But wait a sec… These are no ordinary jeans Gadgeteers. These jeans are covered in mud and have a price tag of $425 a pair! Nordstrom describes them as “Americana workwear that’s seen some hard-working action with a crackled, caked-on muddy coating that shows you’re not afraid to get down and dirty.”

And that’s where the “wait, what?!” comes in. Have we degraded into a society that has to pay for dirty clothes to give us the appearance of being hard workers?

The traditionally styled 5 pocket jeans are made of 100% cotton and are machine washable which makes me say it again… wait, what?! So you buy a pair of muddy jeans for $425, but you can wash them? Is it really April 1st, because this can’t be for real. But sadly, it is and I fear that we’re doomed as a species. If you’re not distressed about this (pun intended), head over to Norstrom for more info.

More stories from The Gadgeteer

15 comments… add one
  • David Ferreira April 26, 2017, 8:04 am

Having spent 4 years working on the Nordstrom web site, I can only shake my head and grieve for how far the company has fallen. On the other hand, these will go nicely with the $85 rock you could buy…

• James April 26, 2017, 9:13 am

I have a two year old nephew who can get that look for $2 per pair of jeans. Okay, he will do it for free. FINE. I confess, we cant get him to stop doing this to his clothes so we want him to wear yours instead.

• Julie Strietelmeier April 26, 2017, 9:17 am

My jeans look like this after working in the garden. Ok, I liked. Jeanne’s jeans look like at the end of every weekend working in the garden 😉

• Jackie Cheng April 26, 2017, 10:37 am

Can’t wait for pre-soiled baby diapers….those will fly off the shelves…

• Lex April 26, 2017, 6:47 pm

I’ll muddy anyone’s jeans for only $225 a pair.

• Rusty April 26, 2017, 7:31 pm

Wow, who knew growing up as a kid in the 60’s, I was sitting on a gold mine!
    Too bad the only attention I got was from my mom’s hand on the backside
    of my muddy jeans 😉

• Michael ODonnell April 27, 2017, 8:28 am

It really saddens me that there is even a market for this (even if they were free). And even more so that anyone finds the need to pretend they actually soiled their clothes. If this is truly a fashion statement it’s an insult to those that dirty their clothes for real. I’d be embarrassed to wear these.

• Christopher Schmidt April 27, 2017, 10:49 am

I have no words that can truly convey my thoughts on this post 🙁

• Joe Six-pack April 27, 2017, 10:52 pm

My first thought was where does the mud come from? Is it ‘clean’ or is it full of micro-organisms that you don’t want getting into the wild (or under your skin).

• Michael April 28, 2017, 8:48 am
  • kckzz May 12, 2017, 4:38 pm

Make a sentence out of these three words:
    World, hell, handbag.