My seat is just hanging around, the Hanger Chair

{ 6 comments }

Umbra Shift Hanging chair

Although I do not watch as much commercial television as I once did, my new favorite type of shows lately are the ones where people are moving into smaller houses or living spaces. Watching how people downsize and try to get the most out of every inch of space can become a puzzle, and I like to see how they solve it. When I saw the Hanger Chair from Umbra Shift I thought that this could be a perfect solution to a downsizing situation. Made out of Baltic Birch plywood, this chair is designed to be hung up when not in use and can hold up to 300 pounds. When closed, this chair is only 1 1/2 inches thick, thinner than your average winter coat. Available in several colors from Umbra Shift, this $200 folder would be a great choice even if you are not trying to downsize.

Posted in: Home and Kitchen, News
  • Julie Strietelmeier December 15, 2015, 8:12 am

I’m a huge fan of the Tiny House shows too. I could easily live in one but I’d have to get a divorce first 😉

• Sandee Cohen December 15, 2015, 10:35 am

I watch those shows too. But I don’t have to move to a tiny house to appreciate their gizmos.

Living in a 1-bed NYC is only slightly larger than those tiny houses. And I don’t get the backyard that they often have.

And yes, those chairs look very helpful. I also like how they look like art objects when hanging.

• Sandee Cohen December 15, 2015, 10:37 am

Oh, this is even cooler.

I just went to the Umbra web page. They show the chairs hanging on a closet rod. Brilliant!!!

• Julie Strietelmeier December 15, 2015, 10:48 am

They don’t look very comfortable to sit in though. I think the back part would feel awkward. They would be good for parties where you don’t want people staying too long 😉

• Norm December 15, 2015, 11:38 am

Nice idea, not a good price.

• Andrew Baker December 16, 2015, 10:06 am

I have a very thin (costco) folding chair similar to this. I keep it in my cubical for guests. Our cubes have a “coat closet” in the wall the closet is about 3 feet deep, 5 feet tall, but only 4″ wide. (yes it does have a 4″ clothing rod). I can keep 1 jacket, 1 spare shirt, and 1 spare slacks on the rod, and I keep the chair on the bottom. This looks a little thinner then mine, might give me room for another jacket or something. 😀