Let’s just get this out of the way: If you even have a shred of geek cred, you probably saw “AT-ST” in the title and wondered if this had anything to do with Star Wars. Well, the IPEVO AT-ST Articulating Video Stand isn’t for Stormtroopers, but for gadgets such as the iPhone and iPod Touch.
Features at a Glance
- Versatile stand with multi-jointed swing-arm mounts iPhone or iPod Touch at any height and angle
- Align your device parallel to your subject; capture flat documents and close-up objects with ease
- Hands-free operation; great for tutorial videos, drawing and writing, playing instruments, cooking, arts and crafts, and much more
- Take full advantage of iPhone’s HD camera for high-quality videos and photographs with expert camera angles and no shake
- Weighted base means no tip-overs; unique spring-loaded grip for easy yet secure mounts and dismounts
- Soft rubber inside the grip protects your device; cord clip keeps your charge cord tidy and out of the way
- Turn your iPhone or iPod Touch into a document camera with the free IPEVO Presenter app
- L x W x H: 4.3″ x 4.3″ x 8.9″ (110 x 110 x 226 mm)
- Weight: 2.6 lbs (1175g)
- Compatible with: iPhone 4/4s/5/5s/5c, iPod Touch 4/5
- Available in Black and White (Limited Edition)
- Clamp mount with articulation arm and weighted base
There’s no denying it. The articulated stand DOES bear a resemblance to some Imperial Star Wars machinery. I received the black one, maybe as a nod to the Dark Side.
The grip portion holds your phone securely with rubber-padded sides. The jaws open up to 3″ in width, so it’s not just limited to the iPhone or iPod.
The bottom base makes the stand heavy (2.6 lbs total) and grippy.
This is the iPhone 5s, without a case, in the stand. I tried it with a Spigen Slim Armor S case and it worked, although the grip wasn’t as clean looking.
Notice that hook on the middle hinge You can loop your charging or audio cables through there for a cleaner look. There’s no way to remove the hook. It’s part of the arm.
The thing I love most about the stand is the dizzying degrees of movement it’s capable of. The hinges move easily with one hand, and the base is nice and heavy. It all makes for a nicely thought-out piece of kit.
Once in a while I might need to take photos with my iPhone close up. This makes repeat shots a breeze.
Say cheese! Need to make a Skype or FaceTime call? Or just want to take a hands-free selfie?
I was surprised by how nicely put together and useful the IPEVO AT-ST Articulating Video Stand was. This one is definitely a keeper. Almost makes me want to make FaceTime calls or ridiculous selfies just so I can use the stand! It’s a little expensive, but once you use it I’m sure you’d agree it’s worth every penny for the quality.
All was going great until I got the iPhone 6 Plus, and guess what? Doesn’t fit.
Source: The sample for this review was provided by IPEVO. Visit their site for more info.