Wearable camcorder – uCorder

ucorderThe uCorder claims to be the world’s first wearable camcorder. It’s available in two versions. One with 1GB of internal memory and one with 2GB. Both include a microSD slot. The resolution isn’t very impressive at only 64o x 480, and there isn’t a a built-in LCD viewfinder. But I suppose the portability is supposed to make up for these deficiencies. They are priced at $79.99 – $99.99 +$15 Shipping.

Posted in: Audio, Video, TV, Camera Gear
  • _Mark_ July 30, 2009, 5:07 pm

Seems unlikely to be “first” given that I’ve had one of these for months – has more memory, same resolution, and costs half as much…

• Adam July 30, 2009, 5:22 pm

actually, the uCorder has twice the resolution and double the frame rate of the amazon item. plus, that boxy camera isn’t wearable!

• Avaviel July 30, 2009, 11:37 pm

lol, what if the lanyard flips around?

• Brian July 30, 2009, 11:52 pm

FlyCamOne2 camera (http://www.flycamone2.com.au/) has been around for a while. Often used in conjunction with model aircraft since they are so small/light.
    I think wearing a camera that is directly at cleavage height is sure to get you into trouble.

• _Mark_ July 31, 2009, 1:46 am

Oh, the stuntcam isn’t quite the model I have after all – mine is still only 352 x 288, for some reason I thought it was higher, and http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Smallest-Camcorder-Built-Memory/dp/B001KK5ZHW/ claims 640×240 (which is admittedly an unusual size, but closer.) But it’s far *more* wearable – you just clip it into a shirt pocket, or on to a shoulder strap for something else – the lens is above the top of the clip, so it just peeks over the top of your pocket. It’s much *smaller* than the ucorder – these are pack-of-gum form factor, an inch shorter and noticeably narrower (not as wide as a whiteboard marker, say…) though from the looks of the ucorder (in particular the 3-LED interface and some other oddities) I’d guess they had a common chipset or even main board…

I’ve actually handed it to tech-savvy people and had them not realize it was a camera at all, which makes it an interesting backup camera for hiking trips and such; at 4G the storage outlasts the battery, and they have the same slot (but not the “mini LED flashlight” of the ucorder.)

These first got a lot of attention in early 2009 when the nytimes published an article about people using them to sniff PINs at subverted ATMs 🙂

• scott December 25, 2009, 6:49 am

what a pile of crap will not give up data to my mac it opened one time shot some vidieo i think internal memory may be full willnot download or be noticed by my computer that is the only xmas present i got xmas is ruined there is no support save your money for something else ucorder sucks it is garbage i am angry merry f.ing xmas.