A key that’s a keyring

split-keyringThe Split Ring Key Blank is a genius idea from Amron Experimental, the same folks that brought us the Endo Magnet. It’s a key blank that you can take to the hardware store / Walmart to grind into a key. But really the cool part is that the top of the blank is a split ring keyring. You can use it to hold all the rest of your keys. I’ll say it again, genius!

Posted in: Car Gear, Gear
  • Dave Rees July 9, 2009, 8:20 am

Brilliant!!! (I kind you not) I’m going to order some today…..

• Julie July 9, 2009, 8:22 am

@Dave 2 for $7 doesn’t sound like a bad deal either!

• Mark Adkins July 9, 2009, 10:40 am

I like this idea, but the thought of all of my other keys poking out at right angles to it as I sit or work means I shan’t go for it any time soon. It WOULD be fun to see how strong the ring is when other keys are torquing on it.

When I think of my wife’s keyring, however, with all of the inter-attached rings and clips and such, something like this could easily form the core of a really nice set-up.

• Julie July 9, 2009, 11:25 am

@Mark Hmmm, it would be even better if the key blade were on a swivel…

• _Mark_ July 9, 2009, 1:08 pm

I’ve always wanted keys that flipped out of a swiss-army-style knife – fairly compact and the other end would have useful tools too. (Probably a bad idea in the face of modern airport security, and more than half of the “keys” I carry today are electronic anyhow…)

• MartinN July 9, 2009, 2:35 pm

Am I pointing out the obvious, if I tell you that a swiveling key blade would be difficult to turn around in the lock? 😛

• Julie July 9, 2009, 3:13 pm

@MartinN I’m picturing it a little different, so that you could hold on to a section to turn it.

• Lee Gibson July 9, 2009, 8:44 pm

So instead of my aggressively-culled key ring, I’ve got this thing that will never lie flat in my pocket?

This is not a clever design.

• Lauren July 9, 2009, 11:28 pm

Totally brilliant! I am sure they will come out with colors and designs soon!

• Jamie July 10, 2009, 12:47 am

It actually does lie pretty flat in your pocket with keys on it as the normal keys don’t sit perpendicular to the ring’s plane. The holes in the normal keys are big enough to allow them to rotate toward the ring’s plane. If you were to put keys on both sides of the key ring key you’d hardly notice it. Plus, you’ll always be able to identify your house key in the dark.