REVIEW – There are so many Apple Watch bands out there, but few have caught my eye. That all changed when I saw Groove Life’s Dimension Topo strap with its distinctive pattern on both the outside and inside.
What is it?
The Groove Life Dimension Topo is a strap that is available for all Apple Watch series (1-5 as of this writing) and sizes (42-44, 38-40mm). You can choose from Small/Medium and Medium/Large sizes, and three hardware colors (silver, space gray, rose gold).
Here’s my Series 5 watch with the plain black sport strap next to the metal box that the Groove Life strap comes in.
- Premium Medical Grade Silicone Blend
- Compatible with Series 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 Apple Watch
- M / L designed for wrist sizes 180mm – 220mm
- S / M designed for wrist sizes 160mm – 200mm
- Sport-style clasp
- 316 stainless steel integrated interface
- Anodized aluminum clasp button
I received the 42-44mm size in the M/L length with the silver button. The label reads “Series 1-4” but it works fine with the Series 5.
Design and features
The design is pretty much the same shape as the Apple Sport Strap except the material is some kind of silicone with a topographical map style pattern on the top, and woven-wavy grooves on the underside. The idea behind the grooves on the underside is to allow the strap to breathe.
Here are the two straps side by side. The Apple Sport Strap is plain on both sides. The Groove Life strap also appears more black than the Apple strap.
Here’s a close-up view of the underside of the strap. Note the grooved pattern.
Installation is easy. Be sure to depress the release button on the base of the Apple Watch to remove your old strap.
I think it looks pretty sharp! I like the seemingly random topo design, and it reminds me of my backpacking days in Boy Scouts. I’m not nearly as active as I was then, but I didn’t notice any appreciable build-up in sweat under the strap.
If you’ve used the Apple Sport Strap, the Groove Life strap snaps into place with much more tactile feedback.
There are two things I should note. The first is that the grooved pattern will leave a distinctive tread pattern on your wrist.
The silicone material appears to be a dust and lint magnet. A quick wipe takes care of it, no problem.
What I like
- Choose your own button/snap color (silver, space black, rose gold)
- Sharp-looking topo pattern. Grooved underside resists moisture buildup
- “No BS warranty”: Your Groove Life strap is covered for life for any reason. Read more here.
What I’d change
- Dust magnet. If you’re OCD, look elsewhere.
Review summary and your final conclusion