We recently had a contest where I asked everyone what they thought about me switching back to a blog style theme instead of the magazine grid theme that we’ve had for almost a year. There were a lot of comments with suggestions on how to improve things further. I’ve compiled a list which I’ve been working on for the last few days. I wanted to give everyone a quick update to share my progress on implementing your ideas and changes.
Changes completed so far
- Switch from magazine style layout to blog layout
- Added thumbnail images to category and search results pages
- Changed tag cloud from a cloud to a list until I decide a better way to do it
- Moved search bar to the menu bar
- Installed dedicated mobile theme for smartphones and tablets
- Asked the Gadgeteer team to make sure their images are no bigger than 1024×1024 when clicked
- Fixed menus when browser page is narrower than 1100 pixels wide
- Fixed oversized images in newsletter
Other changes under consideration
- Moving tag cloud/list from sidebar
- User customizable colors for background/text
- Need to work on category menu which is too long
- Add more useful content to the sidebar
I look forward to reading more comments about what you like and don’t like about the site.