Site update status

under_construction

Welcome to the new site layout for The Gadgeteer! Please don’t trip on all the sawdust, nails and lumber laying around as we work out the kinks. We’re aware of several issues, but it’s after 1am and we’re all calling it a night. Any wrinkles should be ironed out by the end of the day tomorrow… or I guess I should say by the end of today. :)

Updates

12/29/13 12:55pm EST
Most of the menus are NOT working correctly at this time. Should be resolved by end of the day today.

12/30/13 9:20am
95% of the menus are now working.

Please report any problems as a comment to this post.

Posted in: News

10 comments… add one

• Dmitriy December 29, 2013, 6:01 am

do not forget to insert post thumbnail pictures to maintain main page layout =)

• Julie Strietelmeier December 29, 2013, 10:05 am

@Dmitriy We used a plugin that was supposed to set all the thumbnails, but it obviously missed at least one on the front page.

@Uli iOS7 look alike? Hmmmm, if you say so. ;) If the grey text is hard to read, we’ll change it. Things will be in flux for awhile.

• Uli Lachmuth December 29, 2013, 8:32 am

Hi Julie,

was this iOS7-lookalike really necessary?

Where’s the point in excessive use of white space except making grey print more difficult to read?

• Larry Geisz December 29, 2013, 9:19 am

Looks Great so far

• Jackie Cheng December 29, 2013, 7:22 pm

The thumbnails on the main page is blurry/low res but looks fine in the actual post.

• bgood December 30, 2013, 2:07 pm

Like the overall look but the ios7 style font is a bit thin and spidery for easy reading.

• Sue December 30, 2013, 9:08 pm

Sorry, Julie — Yes, grey is harder than black to read. Too much white space between articles means hunting to find something worth reading. I’ll check back for awhile, but my first reaction is that it’s not as friendly a place as it once was. Just as bad as the latest New Yorker re-make. Too bad you thought you needed a change.

• andix December 31, 2013, 1:01 pm

Am I the only one who liked the old layout better?

This is… just clutter. Sorry, Julie. But I find it really hard to read and/or navigate. Haven’t been here in a week, and suddenly – bam! – where’s everything?

I may or may not get my eyes used to it… but in the meantime, sigh.

• Julie Strietelmeier December 31, 2013, 1:15 pm

@andix I’m sorry that you feel that way. Help me understand. What exactly can’t you find now.

• Robert Grenader January 2, 2014, 11:45 pm

Julie;

Love the update. I know how hard it is to pull something like this off. Nice job.