Content Nav Menu

Ok, who would pay $2k+ for a pen?!?!?

on May 5, 2011 1:05 pm

Many of you have commented on my pen reviews, as to who would pay $100+ for a ‘ballpoint’ pen. I still believe in many of these cases that you get what you pay for: a finely machined, ultra-durable writing instrument designed to last a lifetime. That said, I was dancing the Net this morning and came across an announcement regarding Dunhill of London releasing a limited addition pen/pencil: the Sidecar Sketch Pen…..with a staggering price tag of $2350. Even I find that crazy. But if Dunhill would like to send me one to review to let folks know if it is worth that hefty cost, I would be more than willing to ;).

Comments

1. 1
  2. 2
    Jon Elbery says:

$2350? For wimps only – check out the limited edition Fighter Provenance made out of the engine casing of a 60 year old Spitfire fighter plane – and costing a cool $8300 http://www.dunhill.com/en-us/shoponline/pens/bycollection/limitededition/limited-edition-fighter-provenance-fountain-pen-nxh1393
    And there are people going to bed tonight hungry…

3. 3
    Andrew Baker says:

OK I have a few expensive pens which I LOVE, but I think my most expensive pen I own is $40.

4. 4
    CSquared says:

$2,000 is cheap compared to some. As a collector, I’ve handled a couple in the $45,000 range. Almost had a stroke.

5. 5
    Donald Schoengold says:

Actually, it isn’t even a pen. It is a pencil.

DON

6. 6
    Alan says:

Good grief $2k for a pen/pencil I’m lost for words :(

7. 7
    Alan says:

However much do the refills cost?

8. 8
    Deslock says:

The Fisher bullet spacepen is only $15 and is the last pen any geek will ever need. I’ve used it exclusively for years.

- writes effortlessly
    - never leaks
    - lasts a long time
    - compact

From the technology section of its Wikipedia page: “The ballpoint is made from tungsten carbide and is precisely fitted in order to avoid leaks. A sliding float separates the ink from the pressurized gas. The thixotropic ink in the hermetically sealed and pressurized reservoir is claimed to write for three times longer than a standard ballpoint pen. The pen can write at altitudes up to 12,500 feet (3810 m). The ink is forced out by compressed nitrogen at a pressure of nearly 35 pounds per square inch (240 kPa). Operating temperatures range from -30 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit (-35 to 120 degrees Celsius). The pen has an estimated shelf life of 100 years.”

9. 9
    TAKEANOTHERLOOK says:

The same chap who would write a 276,000 check for an Aston Martin.. if you aren’t in that league.. then don’t worry ’bout it..