REVIEW – Last summer, I reviewed the EcoFlow Wave air conditioner and if you read that review you know that I was pretty excited to review it and quite pleased with its purpose and function. I was about the take it out of storage when I learned of the opportunity to review the new EcoFlow WAVE 2 Portable Air Conditioner/heater + Add-on battery. This new 2nd generation model provides air conditioning and heat, making it suitable for use all year round. So now, rather than chat more about its possibilities, let’s see what it’s all about.
What is it?
The EcoFlow WAVE 2 Portable Air Conditioner/Heater + Add-on battery is a portable air conditioner that also functions as a heater. It can be used both in the home as well as for RVs, outdoor tents when camping, etc.
What’s in the box?
- 1 x EcoFlow Wave 2
- 2 x Exhaust Duct
- 3 x Exhaust Duct Adapter Cover
- 1 x Window Vent Board
- 1 x Drain Hose
- 1 x User Manual
- 1 x Add-on Battery
Design and features
- Powerful Cooling & Heating: With EcoFlow’s tailor-made compressor, Wave 2 can drop the temperature by 18℉ (10℃) in 5 mins in cooling mode (5100BTU) and raise the temperature by 18℉ (10℃) in 5 mins in heating mode (6100BTU).
- Four Ways to Charge: Charge EcoFlow Wave2, the ultimate air cooler, and heater, quickly with AC, solar, car, and power stations. Its swappable battery allows for cool or warm air anytime, anywhere, with the flexibility of multiple charging options, making it the perfect tent, RV, or camping air conditioner.
- Peaceful and Long-lasting Comfort: Enjoy a peaceful snooze with Wave 2’s quiet operation (44 dB) in Sleep Mode, and up to 8 hours of use in Eco Mode. With multiple modes and app control, it offers longer-lasting comfort in your tent, RV, or home. Its powerful and portable design ensures you can take it anywhere you need it.
- No Water Left Behind: Enjoy the convenience of cooling and heating right out of the box! EcoFlow Wave2 is the perfect air conditioner for any compact space. It’s extremely simple to use, requiring no installation or drainage.
- Extended Run Time: With a 1159Wh add-on battery, the EcoFlow AC unit is truly portable. Add on a DELTA 2/DELTA Max and extend run times to a record-breaking 7-14 hours – that’s 28% more efficient than other power stations. And of course, you can top up at home via a wall outlet too.
The EcoFlow WAVE 2 Portable Air Conditioner is smaller than the original EcoFlow Wave, but still well-built and compact. It is also lighter than the original EcoFlow Wave. There are vents on the 2 long sides as well as on the top for intake and exhaust. There is also a control panel on the top with a LED display. The bottom is designed to accommodate the option of adding the add-on battery and there is a water outlet that allows you to attach the included hose for drainage. On one of the long sides, there are the connection ports for the add-on battery via the included adapter as well as the AC port for powering and charging and the solar charging port.
The first thing I did to prep the EcoFlow WAVE 2 Portable Air Conditioner for use was to attach the add-on battery and sit the entire unit on a restaurant-style shelf that I purchased to accommodate it. Then it was on to charging before testing and using:
Once the EcoFlow Wave 2 was fully charged, I added it to the EcoFLow app. Here are some screenshots from the app:
Overall, the EcoFLow Wave 2 AC/Heater performs very well both as an air conditioner and a heater. There is an obvious advantage to having both options in one unit especially when it is portable. It is not loud in either mode and being able to use it off the grid with the add-on battery makes it incredibly versatile.
In addition to the LED on the front of the unit flashing red/orange and blue for heat and cold, there are other colors that it flashes for various conditions:
What I like
- The very nice, portable, and sleek design
- The build quality
- The relatively quiet operation
- The functionality to work as both an air conditioner and heater
- The LED display
- The small footprint
- The add-on battery
- The output both for heat and AC
What I’d change
- It does what it is designed to do
EcoFlow WAVE 2 Portable Air Conditioner + Add-on battery is the second generation of this type of portable AC. I like this one as well, but I like it more because of its smaller and more compact size and weight without compromising capability. I am a big fan of the ECO products that EcoFlow produces and yes they run on battery and can be recharged via solar so they are ECO. IMHO, this is another very good product from EcoFlow.