REVIEW – The MOMAX LED desk lamp is extremely versatile with a sleek, modern design, making it functional and fashionable all at once.
What is it?
A desk lamp featuring an adjustable arm that can swing 270 degrees and a light that can rotate 270 degrees, so you can position it however you want. Plus there are 30 possible lighting combinations to choose from, and the base includes a fast-charger and USB outlet.
What’s in the box?
- Hex key and screw to attach the base
- Wall charger
- User manual
- Manufacturer: Momax Technology (HongKong) Ltd.
- Part number: QL1A
- Item weight: 1.65 pounds
- Product dimensions: 2.17 x 5.12 x 17.52 inches
- Item model number: QL1A
- Power source: Corded electric
- Voltage: 110 Volts
- Wattage: 10 watts
- Luminous Flux: 380 Lumen
- Color options: Grey or black
Design and features
The lamp comes in three pieces, so you need to screw the base into the main arm of the lamp. The screw and hex key are included, making it very simple. It’s like putting together something from IKEA, only you just need to complete the first step.
Then you plug in the charger to the back of the lamp, and then into the wall. And voila! You’re done. Very simple setup.
For something with such a sleek, simple design, there are a surprising number of features.
- The dots across the base let you swipe for how much light you want, the tiny dot at the left is the smallest amount, the thickest dot at the right is the brightest setting.
- The mode button allows you to change different “color temperatures” to adjust the ambiance.
- With 5 color modes and 6 brightness levels, you have 30 options for adjusting your lamp.
- There’s also an on/off button and a 1-hour auto-turnoff button.
What’s really unique about this lamp is the 270-degree adjustable arm and 270-degree rotating light. Because it’s so adjustable, it’s hard to imagine an office setup that it wouldn’t work for. It’s also easy to tuck out of the way when not in use.
The base of the lamp also has a USB port to charge your devices. Plus the base has a 10-watt Qi-enabled fast-charging pad, compatible with iPhone 12 / 11 / X / 8, Samsung and other Qi-enabled devices. In order to use the charging pad, my husband has to remove his phone case—an issue he has with most charging pads, but something to be aware of.
Our only possible recommendation for improvement would be to make the touch-sensitive controls slightly less sensitive. For example, when putting your phone on the charging pad or taking if off, it’s very easy to change the light settings as you move your hand over the brightness control. But this is only a very minor issue.
This lamp is designed to last more than 50,000 hours with no bulb replacement needed and has a lifetime warranty.
My husband noted that this lamp gives the best lighting of anything he’s tried since he started working from home a year and a half ago. He spends much of his days on Zoom calls and especially likes turning the light so that it bounces off the wall next to him instead of shining directly on him.
What I like
- Extremely versatile
- Sleek design, including built-in chargers and intuitive controls
What I’d change
- Slightly less sensitive brightness controls
This lamp is a bit on the pricey side for what I’d normally spend on a desk lamp. But when you consider all the position and brightness options, the built-in phone chargers, the high-quality material and long-lasting bulb, it’s well worth the price tag.