I have a vacation to Treasure Island, Florida coming up at the first of October and I’ve decided that I don’t want to drag my heavy Macbook Pro with me on this trip. So, I’ve been considering gadget scenarios that will give me the ability to read / respond to email, web surf and offload digital camera pictures. Some of these scenarios included…
1. Use my iPhone for email / surfing and buy lots of extra SD cards for photos so that I won’t need to continually empty one or two to make room for more pix. I scratched this idea because using the touch keyboard on the iPhone will get old really fast with the number of emails I write every day. Surfing on the iPhone wouldn’t be bad, but I’d prefer a bigger screen. As for digital images, there will be three of us on this trip, so I figure we really should have a backup, just to be safe.
2. Use my Centro for email / surfing and buy lots of extra SD cards. Ditched this idea for the same reason I ditched the iPhone idea.
3. Use my Macbook Pro like I usually do on trips. Ummmm, nope. It’s too bulky and I want to travel a little smaller and lighter for this trip.
4. Buy lots of SD cards and don’t check email or surf for 6 days. ACK! This would probably cause me to die a slow painful death. Nuff said.
5. Buy a 2-3lb UMPC / Netbook / Sub-notebook / whatever the heck you want to call them. I’ve decided to go with this solution for a couple of reasons. First of all, it’s a great excuse to buy a new toy to play with. Secondly, it’s a good excuse to buy a new toy to play with. :o)
Tiny laptops aren’t new to me. I had bought myself one of the ASUS Eee PCs (701) but the tiny display and cramped keyboard caused me to turn my nose up at it and give it to Claire to review for me. I can be lazy that way ;o) Then I had the opportunity to review the HP Mini-note and really loved it, but had to send it back once the review was complete. I had briefly considered buying a MacBook Air, but they are way over priced and under powered, so it was a fleeting thought.
I ended up deciding on the MSI Wind netbook, but had a really hard time finding one with a 6 cell battery in stock. Even the 3 cell model is super hard find right now, but I lucked out and found a Black one (I really wanted plain White. Not the dorky White one with hearts…) with a 3 cell battery and a 120GB hard drive last night. I’ve ordered it and a 1GB RAM card to upgrade it to 2GB. Both should be here tomorrow. Yay! Now I will have lots of time before my trip to set it up the way I like. I’m even going to try putting OS X on it :o)