A friend and I were discussing/debating our top five favorite science fiction shows of all time. He regularly reads The Gadgeteer and suggested I post my fave-five and solicit our reader’s lists/opinions as well. So below are my top five with a short blurb as to why they are on the list.
- StarGate (SG-1): To boldly go, without the need of a ship or long travel times. To see other worlds in a blink of an eye. The cast, writers, storyline, and special effects were overall top-notch.
- Farscape: I grant you this was a pretty surreal show and storyline, but the actors were good and over the top when needed. You know some shows do not have to make sense all the time to like/enjoy them. What I remember most about Farscape, is that it was a HUGE shame the network did not give them enough notice to shutdown/close the storyline properly.
- Star Trek (TNG): The Star Trek universe brought SciFi to primetime. But in the beginning, the original series was limited by special effect technologies, budgets, and the general public’s viewing habits. But Star Trek The Next Generation was a great follow up for the original series and lead-in for a multitude of other very enjoyable (albeit some better than others) series and movies.
- Dr. Who (modern day): This longstanding storyline is fun and silly in many ways. The overall low budget special effects are pretty funny in and of themselves, where the audience has to ‘just go with it’.
- X-Files: This show was at the forefront of prime-time, modern-day SciFi. Mulder and Sculley were a great pair, and many shows today attempt to emulate their dynamic. The conspiracy, aliens, and ‘trust no one/truth is out there’ overarching storylines were great at tying the decade long series together.
That is my list and a few of my thoughts. So….what say you all???