Content Nav Menu

Dog Dazer Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent

on September 2, 2010 7:30 am

After reading Robin’s post yesterday about her dog being attacked by off-leash dogs, I remembered seeing the Dog Dazer while surfing the Sky Mall site.  The Dog Dazer emits a high-frequency sound that’s painful to dog’s ears, but inaudible to humans.  Use a 1-2 second burst to startle and hopefully deter a threatening dog from as far as 20 feet away.  Of course, I’d probably want some pepper spray as well, just in case.  The Dog Dazer is $59.95.  Sky Mall also has the Dog-Off Deluxe version, which adds a belt clip, flashlight, and an audible alarm to also deter human attackers.  The Dog-Off Deluxe is $69.95.

Comments

1. 1
    cobinrox says:

Yep, I had thought of those, but I gotta say, one of the “incidents” involved two big mastiffs that did not seem as if they would have cared about noise.

I also saw this but thought it would be too heavy to carry around (though it does have a holster):

2. 2
    kryptik says:

I had one of these things issued to me by a company I worked for a while back. I had a dog practically take it out of my hand. I went back to pepper spray, and tossed the electronic gizmo in the trash.

3. 3
    Janet Cloninger says:

Too bad. I thought it would be nice to discourage the dog before it could get close enough for pepper spray.

4. 4
    aphoid says:

Back when I was a kid, at camp one summer a fellow camper had had one of them. I could hear the “ultrasonic” signal and it would incapacitate me too. it was painfully loud to me, but the other folks in the room couldn’t hear it.

5. 5
    cobinrox says:

@aphoid: sorry, but that really made me laugh!

6. 6
    2bsafe says:

Janet cloninger -Look at some you tube videos of vicious dog attacks
    and you will not be quite so concerned with being “nice” to a vicious dog.

7. 7
    Janet Cloninger says:

@2bsafe Perhaps you should read what I said again. I said it would be nice to deter the dog before it got close enough for me to resort to using pepper spray. I was concerned with my safety, not being nice.