REVIEW – After reviewing several earbuds over the past couple of years, I now tend to look for something different and/or intriguing about a pair of earbuds before I show interest in reviewing them. After quite a long delay, I finally got my hands on the Apple Airpods, and these days I am on the lookout for earbuds that are similar in design and features to compare to the Airpods. Enter the Tronsmart Onyx Ace True Wireless Bluetooth Earphones!!
What is it?
The Tronsmart Onyx Ace True Wireless Bluetooth Earphones are equipped with Qualcomm aptX, 4 microphones, and Environment Noise Cancellation technology to deliver crystal-clear calls and studio-quality audio. The pressure-free semi-in-ear design provides a comfortable all-day listening experience.
What’s in the box
1 x Onyx Ace True Wireless Earphones with Charging Case
1 x USB-C Charging Cable
1 x Warranty Card
1 x User Manual
Design and features
- Adopted Qualcomm Chip: The chip we use in the earbuds is Qualcomm QCC3020, it’s the most advanced TWS earphone chip there is. Which means the most stable signal connection, better sound quality, lower power consumption. Bluetooth 5.0 and HD rendering technology, producing incredible high-quality sound with deep bass.
- Lossless aptX Audio: True Qualcomm aptX audio technology works with the enlarged 13mm driver to deliver hi-fidelity studio-quality sound that’s clear and bassy. 4 microphones and Environment Noise Cancellation technology guarantee crystal-clear and loud call quality.
- 5 Hours Continuous Playing Time: The most advanced Qualcomm chips have lower power consumption, which means that the earbuds can be used continuously for 5 hours(50% volume) after being fully charged. The charging case provides up to 4 times more charge for the headphones, in total up to 24 hours.
- IPX5 Waterproof Ergonomic Design Superb Compatibility: Thanks to the IPX5 Waterproof, protects your headphones from rain, splashes, and sweat for undisturbed use. Small and lightweight Bluetooth headsets, Ergonomically designed, Snug & comfortable wearing, Fits perfectly in the ears with different sizes S / M / L high-quality silicone earplugs and firmly attaches the headphones in the ears, never falling out even when you are working out, Works with almost all Bluetooth devices.
- Two Mini Earphones with Unique Touch Function: All functions in a touch key, the operation is more simple and convenient. The headphones can be used separately or together. Intuitive gesture controls allow users to listen to music and answer phone calls on the go without the worry of wire entanglement. And the built-in microphone is compatible with Siri, as well as Google Assistant.
Model: Onyx Ace
Colors: White, Black
Technology: Qualcomm aptX audio technology, cVc 8.0 noise cancellation technology, Environment Noise Cancellation technology, DSP
Chip: Qualcomm® QCC3020, supports aptX, AAC, SBC
Bluetooth Version: 5.0
Bluetooth Compatibility: HFP/HSP/AVRCP/A2DP
Transmission Distance: Up to 15 meters / 50 feet
Water Resistant: IPX5
Battery Capacity: Earphone: 40 mAh; Charging case: 400 mAh
Play Time: Earphone: up to 5 hours (50% volume); Charging case: up to 24 hours (50% volume)
Standby Earphone: about 60 hours; Charging case: 90 days
Charging Time: Earphone: about 1 hour 20 minutes; Charging case: about 1 hour 30 minutes
Frequency Range: 20 – 20K Hz
Driver Unit: 13mm
Microphone Sensitivity: -42dB ± 1dB
Dimension: Earphone – 39 x 16.5 x 16.8 mm / 1.54 x 0.65 x 0.66 inches; Charging case – 48 x 23 x 57.5 mm / 1.89 x 0.9 x 2.26 inches
Net Weight: Earphone: about 4 g / 0.14 oz ; Charging case: about 37 g / 1.31 oz
The earbud charging case is small and compact with a silver accent on the front with LEDs. The earbuds resemble the Apple Airbuds design with the mic and controls on the long shaft.
Much like the Apple Airpods, these earbuds sit straight down in the case to be stored and charged.
On the front surface of the charging case, there are 4 LEDs that represent the charge level of the battery in the case. Each LED represents 25% of the charge of the case and the top and bottom LEDs represent the charging status of each earbud. Underneath the case, there is a USB-C charging port.
The Tronsmart Onyx Ace earbuds are like most others in terms of requirements and function. I started by charging them fully, and when I removed them from the case, they automatically entered pairing mode and provided voice confirmation once connected. Once paired, they connect every time I remove them from their charging case and have never failed to do so. The earbuds’ playing time when listening to music at close to 100% volume is between 2 and 3 hours, and they do recharge quickly once placed into the charging case.
The following chart provides the operating details of the earbuds:
When listening to music, these earbuds perform well. The lows, mids, and highs are very well balanced and the maximum volume is more than adequate while never overwhelming.
I listened to several genres including Contemporary Jazz, Easy Listening, The Classics, Gospel, etc., and I enjoyed the sound across all of the genres. There was no discernable distortion in any frequency range.
The call quality is quite good for both parties on regular phone calls. On the first occasion when I tried using them with Zoom, with the exception of a few instances when the sound seemed to go back and forth on each earbud for a few seconds at a time, they performed well. The other party did not experience any issues hearing me, and the noise cancellation worked well. Since applications like Zoom and Skype are dependent on the internet quality of both parties, I would only list any audio issues I experienced if there was an obvious connectivity problem.
I tested the earbuds with Zoom for a second time and while the video quality was great there were some audio issues. During the first call as I mentioned, I only experienced the back and forth in each earbud for a few seconds at a time
The following is the recording of the second Zoom interview that I conducted using these earbuds. During this interview, they seem to lose a bit of the integrity of the Bluetooth connection and the audio effects can be heard several times when I speak.
These earbuds do fit quite comfortably in my ears and I have not experienced any fatigue after wearing them for a few hours. With a couple of taps, you can activate Siri, Google, and Cortina.
What I like
- The sleek design
- The decent build quality
- The sound
What I’d change
- Better Bluetooth signal strength
Since I now have the Apple Airpods, I tend to compare all other earbuds to the Airpods. To be quite honest, it is hard for other earbuds to compete within or outside of the Apple ecosystem. This is not to say that the Airpods are what I consider to be in the Audiophile category, but neither are most earbuds. These Tronsmart Onyx Ace earbuds do a decent job with sound and with phone calls, and while they somewhat mirror the design of the Airpods they fall short of being a serious rival. However, for the price, they are a pretty good buy.