REVIEW – It was only a short time ago that backpacks were relegated to the high-school or college campus. Now, it’s rare to see a briefcase, duffel or even messenger bag while enduring the chaotic mêlée that air travel has become. It’s no secret I like OGIO bags, having carried a TP-8 for the past few years. I was excited to have a look at the new ALPHA Convoy 525.
What is it?
The OGIOALPHA Convoy 525 is a Backpack made of strong Cordura fabric.
- Premium 600D Cordura® Eco polyester body and 1200D Cordura Eco bottom. These fabrics have exceptional abrasion resistance, tear strength, and are made from recycled materials
- Adjustable shoulder straps with sternum strap and load lifters Premium YKK zippers and buckles
- Two large volume water bottle pockets
- Back panel security pocket with cord port
- Large zippered top stash pocket
- Front zippered valuables pocket
- Internal zippered small accessory pockets
- Internal organization including a key clip
- Side and bottom compression straps
- Padded comfort top handle
- Luggage pass-through
- 25-liter capacity
What’s in the Box?
- Backpack in a plastic bag (no surprise here)
- Warranty and product cards
Design and features:
OGIO has been making quality bags, backpacks and golf accessories since 1987 and their latest line is no exception. For the most part, I’m a “one bag travel” guy. I’ve used dozens of different bags in my 4-million+ mile career with varying degrees of success. Finding a good balance of features and craftsmanship can be a daunting task.
For starters, this backpack is built like a tank. The Cordura nylon is very strong, zippers are YKK and, for organization freaks like me, there are plenty of pockets.
I was able to jam a week’s clothes into the main and back compartments with room to spare.
My tool pack fit nicely in the bottom.
The top, front pocket contains a key hook. Having been one to misplace my keys in previous bags, this is a great feature!
Inside are an organizer for passport or phone and a few pens
Inside the main compartment is a mesh zippered pocket. This is very handy for a quick inventory of small items.
The compression straps help make to ensure this beastie will squeeze into the overhead compartment.
The front of the pack is donned with four MOLLE (Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment) straps, allowing expansion.
Pockets on either side are large enough to hold full-sized water bottles.
Thoughtfully included is a loop to allow the backpack to ride on the handle of other luggage without becoming an airport anchor.
Straps are padded and very comfortable.
The top carry handle is also padded and super comfy, though I wish there was also one built into the side for strolls down the airplane aisle.
What I like:
- Outstanding craftsmanship
- Well balanced and comfortable
- Plenty of pockets for organization
- Light weight
What needs to be improved?
- A side handle for carrying through airplane aisles would be great!
With many choosing backpacks as ideal travel and day bag solutions, OGIO’s ALPHA Convoy 525 is wonderfully suited to most needs. I would venture that many more will opt to join me in celebrating OGIO’s combination of designs and outstanding build quality. I’ll still be using my trusty TP-8 for shorter trips, but the new ALPHA Convoy 525 is now my new bag of choice for trips needing a bit more capacity.