Content Nav Menu

Feel better about your drinking by supporting testicular cancer research

on December 11, 2012 8:00 am

Inspired by a cancer scare experienced by one of the founders, three men decided to do something to help men who are fighting testicular cancer.  By purchasing a set of their Balls of Steel drink coolers, you’ll primarily be supporting the “Balls of Steel community. In the BOS community, men and their families struggling with testicular cancer are provided an outlet where they are able to seek emotional refuge and tell their story.”  They also say that a “percentage of all net sales revenue go directly to Testicular Cancer Research.”  The non-toxic, stainless steel balls require about 4 hours in the freezer, then they are ready to cool low-volume drinks without diluting them.  Just place them in the bottom of the glass containing the drink, carefully swirl them around in the drink for a short while, then remove them before consuming the drink.  The balls and a storage bag cost $19.99.

Comments

1. 1
    blore40 says:

The copy reads like an Onion article. Is this real?

2. 2
    Janet Cloninger says:

@blore40 It’s real, at least assuming the info received by The Gadgeteer and the info on the BOS website is real. That web site is so full of single-entendres (you can’t call something that blatent “double entredes”) that it’s hard to take it seriously. I’d also have felt better if they had given more info about how much they actually donate.

3. 3
    Meister Vu says:

What happens if you swallow one? I know you are not supposed to, but it happens, like when you do ice cubes.

I think you need ball of steel to use these.

4. 4
    OKE says:

That wouldn’t be fun if you forgot to remove them before taking a drink, and then they rolled down and broke some teeth. Yikes.

5. 5
    Janet Cloninger says:

I think you’d be more likely to knock out some teeth than to swallow one. They might be too dangerous to use while you’re drinking…

6. 6
    John Ablem says:

I had a friend tell me about these! Apparently they work extremely well, she also said they came with a surprise pair of “BOS” tongs to remove them and a carrying sack! haha, cool way to support a cause, I’m ordering now :)

7. 7
    Matt Jones says:

I just read their sight and simply remove the balls before drinking, it seems easy.

8. 8
    Meister Vu says:

>I just read their site and simply remove the balls before drinking, it seems easy.

May not remember after a few.

9. 9
    Matt Jones says:

Maybe, But they do support testicular cancer research and give the funds to MD Anderson Cancer Center so it’s 20 bucks well spent to support the “boys” around the world lol

10. 10
    Meister Vu says:

Well, does that mean if girl scouts sell cigarettes, one should buy them because the profit goes to a good cause?

11. 11
    Janet Cloninger says:

Or you could make a donation directly to a cancer research organization, and you’ll know that all your money is going to the organization…

12. 12
    Meister Vu says:

Yes, making a direct donation makes a lot more sense, then most of the money goes to the cause rather than a tiny fraction of what you pay for something that you may not want, or worse yet, may knock your teeth out or give you ball of steels in the wrong place: your tummy.

13. 13
    John Ablem says:

I love it, ordered my set and it’s arriving just in time for the holidays. My cousin was effected by testicular cancer in his early 20′s and if a product like this was around he might have felt more encouraged to talk about it. The company has an awesome mission, unlike 99% of companies out there they actually HAVE created something which is making a difference. Sure you could donate directly, but I highly doubt anyone reading this will actually do that, don’t be so foolish to think otherwise. Making a real change takes partnerships just like they’ve done. The simple fact that they are willing to support a cause and not hoard all profits is worthy of applause.

14. 14
    Meister Vu says:

I didn’t think of that: those steel balls also raise awareness, which may be more important than the money generated directly.

And if you swallow one, the publicity also raise awareness which is a win-win situation :)