Content Nav Menu

Writing instrument that never needs sharpened and never runs out of ink

on December 11, 2011 11:45 am

It’s not really a pencil and it’s not really a pen. The Beta Inkless Pen designed by Axel Weinbrecht, is a writing tool with a tiny metal tip made of lead that unlike regular lead pencils, will not wear down with use. It lays down a grey line that doesn’t smudge or erase and can be used in any temperature or weather. You can get one of your own for $27.95 at Jac Zagoory.

Comments

1. 1
    eClipse says:

Never needs “sharpened”?

2. 2
    RainyDayInterns says:

We look at a similar one back in 2007:

Leonardo da Vinci actually used something similar to make some of his drawings. If you want to know how silverpoint medium works, check out this link:

3. 3
    Jhon says:

I’m kind of hoping they change “runs” to “runned”.

4. 4
    Vladimir Estragon says:

Swell idea. Brings new meaning to the term “poison pen.” Hey, how about a version that uses depleted uranium instead of lead? We could start using up all those nuclear waste products lying around.

5. 5
    Mikey Pizano says:

Lead is far to soft for this use.

6. 6
    Eric Johnston says:

You can’t simply create matter – if something is being deposited on the paper, then something is being worn off the tip of the pencil.

Unless you believe in alchemy.

7. 7
    RainyDayInterns says:

Eric is, of course, correct.

Eventually the tip will wear down, but just very very slowly when compared to graphite/clay pencils.

BTW…lead was used, along with gold and silver, for the same purpose.

8. 8
    Ken Schoenberg says:

@Eric so the energy to matter replicator I purchased from the Needful Things store doesn’t work? I hope I can return it!

Seriously, I can’t believe the tip is lead…at least not pure lead as that would wear out pretty quickly and also have some other issues…including health safety concerns.

Of course, when I was a child I thought I was supposed to get chips for my lunch from the windowsill…