Content Nav Menu

Sensu Artist Brush for Capacitive Screens

on November 28, 2011 12:00 pm

I’m sure there’s more e-doodlers out there than me , and Artist Hardware’s Sensu Artist Brush looks pretty cool for doodling and painting on the go on your capacitive screen device.

Now fully funded on  Kickstarter  ( funding requested $7,500, funding recieved $68,823 !!! :) ) , the Sensu is a capacitive brush device that gives you the feel of a real artist’s brush . Traditional synthetic brush hair is infused with conductive properties to make this work on your iPad or Android Tablet ( or any other device with a capacitive screen ) .  Made for portability,  when closed the brush is 4 1/2″ ( 114mm ) in length and when the protective cap is posted  is 7 1/8″ ( 181mm ). There’s also a useful rubber tip on the other end that can be used for  everyday operation of your tablet or as a pencil/stylus.  Made of chrome-plated brass, silicon and rubber this looks like a really nice product for the more artistic among us :)

Check out their Kickstarter page for some video showing its use

Set to be released next year, the brush will sell for $34.95

Comments

1. 1
    BJN says:

Keep in mind that no current tablet computer has pressure sensitivity or can sense the size of the stylus, finger, or brush tip. So while you might like the feel of using a brush, the strokes you paint will still be just like finger painting. No size or pressure modulation via the brush tip.

2. 2
    Julie says:

This one looks nicer than the one I’ve been using and will post a review of tomorrow… I like that it has a protective cap.

3. 3
    Ian Lim says:

@bjn The Thinkpad Tablet has an active, pressure sensitive stylus. Pressure will have some effect on your strokes with the brush as it will determine how many “pixels” you activate at one time.

4. 4
    thsu says:

Julie, I just want to thank you for pointing out Kickstarter, one of the best businesses models I’ve supported to date (3 projects and counting).

+KNOB is the project I want the most…

5. 5
    Julie says:

@thsu +KNOB looks (sounds?) great. I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on one too. :)

6. 6
    Ian Lim says:

/me knows that Julie is the owner of this site but is debating if I should censor the above double entendre/Freudian slip :)

7. 7
    Julie says:

@Ian you lost me…

8. 8
    Keilaron says:

I don’t know if I should explain it, but.. he’s pointing out you said you’d like to get your hands on a knob, which is slang for — I’m sure you can guess.
    Ahem.

At any rate, while most handheld device touchscreens aren’t pressure sensitive, it could also be worked into the “stylus” (brush) itself (and then the software/driver), though whether or not they’ve done this isn’t mentioned so I’m going to have to guess that they haven’t. Still it seems rather neat, and unlike some projects on Kickstarter (I said SOME), it doesn’t feel like a money grab..

9. 9
    Ian Lim says:

@Keilaron Thanks for explaining, can’t upset the Boss !! Maybe it’s just the Aussie sense of humour !!! :P

I expect that with light pressure you’ll get lots of individual hairs “creating images” while heavy pressure will result in a more dense pattern, so while not pressure sensitive electronically, pressure you apply will make a difference.

10. 10
    Julie says:

@Keilaron Obviously my mind isn’t in the gutter like my friend Ian’s. ;)

11. 11
    Dl says:

Where are the sensu brushes for sale? Thank you for any help

12. 12
    Ian Lim says:

@Dl – From their website http://www.sensubrush.com/ it would appear that Sensu is currently fulfilling their Kickstarter backer orders. It also indicates that brushes should be available to the rest of the World in early May :) Suggest you use their website to keep up to date with what’s going on. Hope this helps.