REVIEW – A friend of mine recently purchased a used pickup truck and it did not include features like a navigation screen or cameras. Since he carries a lot of cargo, I would hear him complain about the need to be able to have a better view of what was behind him when reversing. When I got the opportunity to review this Kingslim D4 4K Dual Dash Cam, I immediately thought of him, and I figured it would be a great gift for a good friend. Let’s see how things worked out for his truck and this dash cam.
What is it?
The Kingslim D4 4K Dual Dash Cam with Built-in WiFi GPS features a front 4K/2.5K camera and a rear 1080P camera, a 3″ IPS Touchscreen, 170° FOV with Sony Starvis Sensor and supports up to a 256GB micro SD card.
What’s in the box
1 x Kingslim D4 with Front Camera
1 x Rear Camera
1 x GPS Module
1 x Car Charger
1 x Cables
1 x Installation Tool
1 x User Manual
Design and features
- Record UHD Videos Front and Rear of You Car: Kingslim D4 4K dual dash camera can simultaneously record videos in front 4K([email protected]) and rear 1080P resolution, clearly capturing license plates and road signs. You can switch to the front view in QHD 2.5K (2560×[email protected]) and rear view in full HD 1080P (1920×[email protected]) for daily video recording, capture QHD details to help restore the truth
- Control by Phone APP and 3″ IPS Touchscreen: Easy to connect D4 with phone APP via built-in wifi. You can playback, download videos, and adjust the settings directly via the phone APP（Work with Android and iOS devices). Easy operation on setting/functions at your fingertips without fiddly buttons
- Auto Record GPS Data for Your Driving: Built-in GPS, which records your route and driving speed in videos. GPS module attached to the dashcams, no need to wire the GPS cable separately. Recommend to download the GXPlayer on our official website to playback the GPS videos
- Better Night Vision with Sony Sensor: Kingslim dual dash cam adopts the industry-leading Sony IMX335 STARVIS sensor and Hisilicon Hi3559 processor. With super night vision, f/1.8 aperture, and WDR technology, you can record stunning details even in low-light environments. With front 170° and rear 150° super-wide viewing angles and a 6-layer glass fixed-focus lens, it gives you maximum coverage of the road and greatly enhances night vision, providing sharp and clear images and videos
- Never Lose Driving Footage: Supports up to 256GB TF card (not included) which is enough for recording 4K videos. Combined with the loop recording function so you never lose any crucial evidence. That means 24-hour protection for your car. To fully meet the recording and playback of 4K resolution video, please use a high-endurance(at least U3 level) micro SD card. We recommend SAMSUNG 256GB U3 micro SD card
The Kingslim D4 4K Dual Dash Cam with Built-in WiFi GPS features the lens and the speaker on the front, and a connector for the mount/GPS module on top along with the port for the rear camera. There is a power connector on the side of the GPS module. The rear is all touchscreen. On the sides, there are the power button and the USB and micro SD card ports under a rubber cover, the mic, and the LED status indicator.
I decided to install this Dashcam and rearview camera on my friend’s 2012 Ford F150.
My first step was to attach the GPS module to the dashcam, attach the double adhesive pad, and attach the Kingslim D4 4K Dual Dash Camto the windscreen.
The cable was long enough to reach the back of the bed of the F150. There is a power wire that attaches to the reverse light and it triggers the dashcam screen to switch to the rearview when the vehicle is put in reverse.
The photo below is of the finished installation.
To view the footage and to keep recordings with you on your phone, there is an app. There is also software to view footage with GPS info for use on a computer:
The dashcam has its own WiFi built in. To access the footage from the dashcam I needed to connect directly to it. One negative is that the Dashcam’s WiFi does not stay active so it needs to be activated each time you want to connect to it.
App screenshot from the front camera:
App screenshot from the rear camera:
Other app screens:
Here are some photos taken from the dashcam (it was raining):
The following is a short video from the camera. The quality is great. I removed the audio for privacy since it does record any audio from within the vehicle.
What I like
- The design and build quality
- The video resolution and quality of images
- The ease of installation
- The length of the cable for the rear camera
- The reliability
What I’d change
- It seems that the WiFi on the camera always needs to be activated to be able to use the app. Since I connected it to always on power, I wish the WiFi could stay active and just need a security code to access via the app
- The Android app is buggy
Over the years I have installed and reviewed a few dashcams and I found that this Kingslim D4 4K Dual Dash Cam with Built-in WiFi GPS was one of the easiest to install and use. It comes with a rear camera and a connection wire that is long enough to go from the dash to the rear of a Ford F150. It works well and my friend really likes it. With the simple installation of one wire from the rear camera to the reverse light, the camera switches to the rear view once the vehicle is in reverse. It is a well-designed dashcam worthy enough to add to your collection of car gear.
Where to buy: Kingslim website; Amazon (save an extra $40 with a clip coupon that is valid until 10/7/2022)
Source: The sample for this review was provided by Kingslim
2 thoughts on “Kingslim D4 4K Dual Dash Cam review”
Gadgeteer Comment Policy - Please read before commenting
You should mention that this camera does not record in 4k, it upscales video to 4k. The IMX335 sensor does not support 4k resolutions
what is the size of rear camera port of d4 kingslim