Keep It On the Level with the Level Camera Cube

I don’t know how I do it, but a lot of the photos I take – even when the camera is on a tripod – aren’t level.  Neither of my cameras have a built-in bubble level, so I have no way of knowing if my shot is level until after I’ve taken it.  Luckily, I have Photoshop so I can level things up later.  With this Level Camera Cube from Photojojo, I could save myself some editing time.  The Level Camera Cube is a 1″ cube that fits on the hot shoe of your camera.  It is a 3-axis level, so you can make sure your picture will come out straight.  It’s $15 for one, or $25 for a pair.

Posted in: Camera Gear, News

• Andrew Baker May 7, 2012, 12:47 pm

Wow, Total 1970’s flash back here.

• Thedigitaldoc May 7, 2012, 2:23 pm

With most DSLRs you can activate the grid through viewfinder and use it instead of this clunky thing that prevents the use of a flash or pocketwizard.

• Norm May 7, 2012, 11:03 pm

I picked one up on Ebay for $8.00. I have another version with only 2 bubbles and this is better because you don’t have to move it around when you go verticle from horizontal. No offense Thedigitaldoc, but this bubble is much more accurate than using the grid-you get two bubbles in the center and you dead on level!

• Ian Lim May 7, 2012, 11:33 pm

All my cameras have sensors that lean to the left, but only when the camera is taking pictures of water lines ! The gridline option helps …. somewhat :)

• Robert Grenader May 8, 2012, 1:12 am

This is a cheap fix to a perplexing problem. I am glad I am not the only one with difficulties obtaining level for a landscape shot. Cropping in Photoshop will work, but you loose too much of your image in the process.

• Julie May 8, 2012, 7:42 am

@Robert If I’m remembering correctly, my new Sony NEX-7 has a level feature that you can access from the menu. I’ve only had the camera for 3 days so don’t crucify me if I dreamed this up. But I would swear I saw it when going through the menus.

• Ian Lim May 8, 2012, 8:44 am

@Julie….ooooh new toy ! :)