Is the US ready for Urban Tool hipHolsters?

urbantoolAustrian design company Urban Tool hopes so. I’m definitely not brave enough to wear one myself. People already think I’m goofy… If I’d showed up at my day job wearing one of these, I can only imagine the looks that I would get. ;) But then, I live in smalltown USA. I do think the idea is pretty interesting and I’m always looking for new bag ideas. Urban Tool sells several styles of these convertible holsters, as well as more traditional shoulder bags, that I’d really like to check out. I also love how they say that some of the bags are made of hydrophobic materials.

Posted in: Gear

• Keith Anderson June 25, 2009, 9:32 am

Get them to send me one – I’ll wear it in public, and send you pictures!
    -Keith

• ryan June 25, 2009, 10:41 am

This looks like the 2009’s version of the fanny pack, but with more pockets…

ok..i just noticed in the pic, the leg strap…i am not sure about that…especially when im karate chopping ninjas on the way to work!! haha

• Mark Adkins June 25, 2009, 11:06 am

Not bad- some of the stuff looks pretty sharp. I wonder what the build quality is? A little pricey for my budget, though.

• rghdrft June 25, 2009, 11:09 am

the grooveRider – t-shirt with the ipod interface – nice

• Keith Anderson June 25, 2009, 11:33 am

Although, I just realized that the company is probably called Urban Tool because thats what their stuff makes you look like…

• Jake June 25, 2009, 1:04 pm

Thinkgeek has carried this product, or at least something virtually identical, for years. http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/9190/

• Eddie June 25, 2009, 1:22 pm

those are pretty cool. Some gadgeteer posted similar products (Civilian Labs) a couple weeks back- namely holsters for gadgets.

I wish it was socially acceptable to wear holster for my iphone, and wearing it would lead one to believe I was “strapped”

• Eddie June 25, 2009, 1:23 pm

…and those models… bless their little hearts, they are modeling the heck outta that stuff. Pretty amusing.

• TheDreamer June 25, 2009, 2:37 pm

I got the holster from thinkgeek, but haven’t gotten to trying it yet.

I’ve been wearing a holster of some sort to help carry gadgets since ~1996. Back then it was a Newton….these days it’s an e-holster and its carrying iphone 3g, pen, digital camera.

Can’t say as I’ve ever run into another person carrying gadgets in a holster….

• Brendan June 26, 2009, 12:28 am

I do like it, but I am choosing to be seen in public instead.

• turn.self.off June 26, 2009, 6:49 am

i am sure that if it ever shows up in a movie, there will be a rush of people that will use it the very next day…

• Geakz June 26, 2009, 10:15 am

I wonder why it’s made of ‘homophobic materials’. I wonder if there is any chaffing involved.

• Julie June 26, 2009, 11:56 am

@Geakz HYDROphobic ;)

• cb4crc June 26, 2009, 2:33 pm

Julie, are you implying we would laugh at you at work for wearing a hipHolster? Never! :) Interesting concept, but like other comments, I would be hesitant to wear one in public…

• Meredyth June 29, 2009, 3:09 pm

I would totally wear one when I was working with tools around the house. Then again, I was the girl walking around with the behind-the-ear flashlight years before bluetooth headsets were invented.

(The flashlight was so comfy I forgot it was around my ear– I didn’t wear it on purpose)

• Julian Williams June 30, 2009, 2:08 am

Ah Keith, you just made my day – be proud to look like an Urban TOOL! – I’m trying to decide whether I would walk around in one or not, would certainly turn some heads on public transport, and I reckon my friends would think I look like an absolute GEEK! (but they already think that anyway, so I suppose it couldn’t hurt…)

• Duong July 28, 2009, 9:44 pm

I bought the basic holster from these guys and it was defective. No customer support or feed back. Emailed their North american office as well as their European office with no reply. Called them too… I would never buy from them again…