REVIEW – Over the past few years, I have become more open-minded regarding Android phones. Initially, I was an Android-only user for all of my cell phones but the OS always developed issues, and then the devices would fail. After resisting IOS and anything Apple for years except for the iPod music players I broke down and purchased the iPad V2, and I was hooked. Since then I have been using the Apple ecosystem. Recently I have been able to test and review several Android phones and I am once again becoming a fan. One brand of Android phone that I have tested and like is Doogee. Now I get to test one of their latest models which is the Doogee S96 Pro Smartphone.
What is it?
The DOOGEE S96 Pro is an Android Smartphone that features a 6.22 ” screen, a 48MP Infrared Night Vision Quad Camera, a Helio G90 processor, a 6350mAh battery, and 8GB+128GB memory.
What’s in the box
1 x S96 Pro rugged phone
1 x Charger (12V/2A)
1 x USB Type-C Cable
1 x Earphones
1 x Anti-explosion film
1 x Card Slot Opener
1 x Sling
1 x User Manual
Design and features
- 20MP Night Vision Camera & 48+8+2MP Rear Camera: The DOOGEE S96 Pro smartphone is equipped with invisible infrared LEDs to make sure there will be totally no glow when the camera working in the darkness. 20MP Night vision camera captures black and white images at night, which provide more high-quality detailed photos. The S96 PRO rugged phone joints 48+8+2MP triple rear camera help you to take clear and beautiful photos in any situation.
- 8GB RAM + 128GB ROM & Helio G90 Octa-Core & Android 10.0: The DOOGEE S96 PRO with a Helio G90 Octa-core CPU, pairs with 8GB RAM and 128GB ROM to release the unprecedented potential of the SoC. Faster gaming experience and less loading time，the S96 Pro rugged phone redefines peak multitasking performance and superior user experience. Android 10 system makes it more convenient to operate and run fast.
- 6350mAh Battery, Support For Fast Charging and Wireless Charger: 6350mAh built-in battery capacity can run for two days. A power-saving frequency conversion system could let you use the smartphone longer time. 12V/2A (24W) fast charging technology lets you farewell to frequent charging. 10W wireless charging makes you waiting less time and more choices for charging.
- IP68 & IP69K Waterproof, Dustproof, High-Temperature Resistance and MIL-STD-810G: The S96 Pro passes the IP68 &IP69K waterproof, dustproof and shockproof, High-Temperature resistance and MIL-STD-810G torment tests outstandingly, it can withstand extreme temperature ranging from -67°F to 158°F. In addition, DOOGEE S96 PRO can survive under 5 feet of water for 30 minutes. It is the first choice for outdoor use.
- Full Netcom & Face/Fingerprint Double Unlocking: DOOGEE S96 PRO Unlocked smartphone supports most global network frequencies with broader coverage and guard you to travel all around the world freely. The DOOGEE S96 Pro Unlocked Cell phone doesn’t support parts of CDMA network carriers. S96 Pro supports Fingerprint unlocking and Face recognition. The two options exist in unison to offer your phone the safest.
Processor: Helio G90, Processor: MT6785(G90), Octa-Core ARM, Cortex A76/Cortex A55
Operating system: Android 10.0
SIM: Dual Sim(Nano-SIM + Nano-SIM / Nano SIM +TF Card)
Battery: 6350mAh Large battery 12V/2A
Charger interface: Type-c
Display: 6.22” Corning Gorilla Glass
Resolution: 720*1520 HD+
Front Camera: 16MP
Rear Camera: 48MP + 8MP + 2MP + 20MP
Protection Grade: IP68 / IP69K/ MTL-810G, waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, high & low-temperature resistance
Storage: 8GB RAM + 128GB ROM, supports 256GB of extension
Support: NFC; Face + Fingerprint Unlocking; OTG; Navigation; G-sensor; a Proximity sensor; Ambient light sensor; Compass (magnetic); Geomagnetism; Gyroscope; Compass, Sound Meter, Pic Hanging, Gradienter, Height Measure, Magnifier, Protractor, Plumb Bob, Alarm bell, Flashlight
Weight/Dimensions: 310g / 167*81.4*15.5mm
Network Frequency Bands of S96 Pro Rugged Phone
The front of this phone has a reasonably small bezel with a camera on the top in a small notch. On the back of the phone, the camera with 4 lenses is on the top.
On one long edge of the phone, there is the TF/Sim slot and a custom function button. On the other edge, there is the fingerprint sensor, the power button, and the up/down volume button.
On the bottom of the phone, there is the USB-C jack and the audio jack that are both covered by a waterproofing rubber flap.
The TF/Sim Cad holder on the side can take a micro SD card and 2 SIM cards.
DOOGEE also includes a tool to open the Sim Card/TF Card slot.
This phone performs very well as have the previous models I have tested. The screen is a nice size and the resolution is great. It does not come with a lot of bloatware which is something I really like. It does come with some installed software that includes a digital toolkit.
Phone conversations are clear both on and off the speaker, and the performance is fast and responsive. The touch screen is also very responsive and the built-in case provides very good protection. The phone is somewhat heavy which is similar to all of the other Doogee phones I have tried. The phone security offers both unlock code and face recognition, The face recognition works well most of the time.
The following are screen photos of CPU and Compute benchmark results using Geekbench 5.
This phone has many features for photography and takes really good pictures:
(Photo was taken on a very cloudy day and through the windshield of my truck)
This next photo was taken through my glass sliding door.
This phone also has a night vision feature that allows you to take a picture in darkness.
Here is a photo that was taken in my backyard at night with the lights on:
Here is a photo in the yard with all of the lights out with the exception of the very low solar dusk to dawn accent lights:
It takes amazing pictures even in total darkness.
Sample video: (I used the phone to shoot a video of another product that I am reviewing)
What I like
- The size of the screen
- The design and build quality
- The amazing battery life
- The screen resolution and the touch response
- The built-on case/protection
- The wireless charging
- The overall performance
What I’d change
- At this time I cannot think of anything that I would change
I am very pleased with this S96 Pro smartphone. It is fast and responsive and built like a tank. I do understand that some people may want a lighter phone, but the weight is not a deterrent for me. The quality of the photos and video are very good and it works well as a daily use phone. The overall quality is great and I give this smartphone a well done and two thumbs up!!
Price: $338.99, Amazon $369.99 plus a $20 coupon
Where to buy: Doogee website, Amazon
Source: The sample for this review was provided by DooGee.
6 thoughts on “Doogee S96 Pro Smartphone review”
Gadgeteer Comment Policy - Please read before commenting
what about the calls, i heard from friend that you when you make a phone call, person on other side can’t hear you well until you scream.
I have been using this phone since I wrote the review and I am currently still using it daily. I have not experienced any call quality issues.
Same here. I’ve not had any complaints concerning call quality.
thank you, i’m happy to hear that can you please test it when there is no signal and compare it to normal phone is there any difference or they are all the same, because i think this phones are used for extreme conditions and one of them is AREAS where there is no signal or just a week rate, thank you again.
Like you, I’m very pleased overall with the phone. But I have 2 issues.
1. The built in flashlight function doesn’t work. But I installed a flashlight app. And it works well. So that’s not really a problem. I guess it’s a software issue.
2. When I record videos, the volume is low unless the person is talking loud. They sent an update that was supposed to address this issue. It helped a little, but not much. It’s a software issue because the voice recordings are excellent on my voice recorder apps. If they’d address this issue, I’d be 100% satisfied.
Customer service is poor. I can’t get a real response other than form answers. So potential buyers may want to keep that in mind.
thank you for the reply i hope you can test it where there is no signal or a weak one, thank you.