REVIEW – Many years ago, I was an Android-only user for all of my cell phones. I resisted IOS and anything Apple for years except for the iPod music players of which I probably had every model. A few years ago, just on a whim, I decided to try what was probably the iPad V2, and I was hooked. Since them I have been using the Apple ecosystem and after my wife tried a few Android phones that failed both she and I were done with Android. About a year ago, someone sent me an Android phone as a gift, and when I tried it albeit reluctantly, I realized that while it would not overthrow my iPhone, that it was much better than I remember. I am now excited to test and review the DOOGEE S95 Super 2020 Rugged Smartphone that boasts some impressive specs.
What is it?
The DOOGEE S95 Super 2020 Rugged Smartphone Unlocked is a powerful Android smartphone with a 48MP AI Triple Rear Camera, the Helio P90 Octa-Core 6GB+128GB, 5150mAh+3500mAh batteries, global 4G LTE support, IP68 Waterproof, 6.3-inch FHD, and NFC Wireless Charge.
What’s in the box
1 x DOOGEE S95 Super
1 x 3500mAh Battery Modular Pack
1 x HiFi Speaker Modular
1 x USB-C Cable
1 x AC Power Adapter
1 x User Instructions and Manual
Design and features
- Magnetic HIFI Speaker Module & 3500mAh Additional Power Module and 5150mAh Battery Capacity: The S95 built-in 5150mAh battery which supports 24W Fast Charging. The 3500mAh extra power module is on standby to turn the S95 into an 8650mAh battery behemoth. The 6W module packs dual 27mm speakers which integrated with an independent 2000mAh battery provide high-quality music.
- 48.0MP+8.0MP+8.0MP AI Triple Cameras & 16MP Front Camera: The S95 joint 48MP AI Triple Cameras which 4X sensitivity, 10X zoom, and 120°super wide-angle, provides rich details and shocking quality with a resolution of 5 times 4K TV. 16MP AI Front Camera provides up to 15 different modes for your subjects. The phone automatically adjusts the depth of field, color tone, and beautify level.
- Helio P90 Octa-core & 6GB+128GB & Android 9.0 Pie: The S95 has the Helio P90 Octa-core processor, paired with 6GB RAM and 128GB ROM. You get a 50% faster performance than the previous P60/P70. It will work well with 5G. Runs on Android 9.0 Pie, no ads, and bloatware.
- IP68/IP69K/ MIL-STD-810G Protection Grade: The rugged smartphone that passes IP68 waterproof, dustproof and shockproof, IP69K High-Temperature resistance and MIL-STD-810G torment tests, while the body is made of top off-road vehicle tires. It flaunts a 6.3-inch Full FHD+ waterdrop screen design with a resolution of 1080*2340 pixels.
- GPS+Beidou+Galileo+Glonass & 4G Full Netcom: The S95 adoption of a four satellite system measures the height of your location by measuring the air pressure that produces more accurate and stable navigation. It supports global network frequencies with broader coverage. (GSM: B2/3/5/8; WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8/6; TDS-CDMA: B34/39; FDD: B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/18/20/25/26/28A/28B/66; TDD: B34/38/39/40/41(HPUE-Power Class 2,120M:2535-2655MHz); C2K: BC0/BC1/BC10
Model: DOOGEE S95 Super Rugged Phone, include magnetic 3500mAh Battery Module and 6W HiFi speaker Module. The module is not waterproof
Magnetic 3500mAh Battery Module&Speaker Module: 2000mAH Battery, 3H Work hours; Input: 5V1A
Water resistance: IP68/ IP69K/ MIL-STD-810G, waterproof/ shockproof/ dustproof smartphone
Camera: SONY 48.0MP+8.0MP+8.0MP AI Triple Rear Cameras & 16.0MP Front Camera
Size: 6.3’’Corning Gorilla display, 19:9 +water drop,1080*2340 FHD+
Memory: 6GB RAM + 128GB ROM, Support 256GB Extension
Processor: Helio P90（2*Cortex-A75 2.2GHz + 6*Cortex-A55 2.0GHz）
Operating System: Android 9.0 Pie
GPU: IMG 9XM-HP8 970MHz
Support: Face+Side, Fingerprint sensor, NFC, GPS, G-sensor, Proximity Sensor, Ambient Light Sensor, Compass, Geomagnetism, Gyroscope, Barometer, Customized Button, SOS, OTG, Hard Coulometer, Breath Light Notification for app
Dual SIM Cards Standby: Nano-SIM + Nano-SIM/ Nano-SIM+ TF Card
Battery: 5150mAh,12V/2A Fast Charging,10W Wireless Charging
The front of this phone has a reasonably small bezel with a camera on the top in a small notch. On the back of the phone, the camera is on the top, and the module connectivity points on the bottom. There is also the manufacturer’s sticker on the back.
The diagram below shows the ports and buttons on each side of the phone, and at the bottom of the phone, there is the USB-C charging port.
The photo below shows the back of the phone and the matching surfaces of the 2 modules.
The 2 photos below show the outer surfaces of the 2 modules.
Next, you can see in the pics below that show the speaker module attached to the phone and powered on. There is a stand in the middle of the module that can be pulled out and used for the speaker to stand.
DOOGEE also includes a tool to open the Sim Card/TF Card slots.
I guess I was a bit impatient and so I powered up the phone while it was charging so that I could get started. The diagram below shows the meaning of the colors of the LED beam light on the top left corner.
The following are screenshots of most of the setup screens that you go through when first setting up the phone.
Now the phone is set up and ready to go!!
The Gesture motion features and the fingerprint, face, and pattern security features all work well. I tested them all but only use some of them for my regular use.
The following video is a demonstration of the speaker module in action.
This phone has many features for photography.
When I decided to take the screenshots below to show some of the options within the photography section, I assigned the custom button on the left side to make one of its functions a screenshot capture.
Once I assigned the button, I took the following screenshots:
Photo focused on the trees in the middle in front of the buildings to showcase the bokeh around the focal point:
Photo shooting into the sun:
Sample video: (Construction noise in the background)
What I like
- The size of the screen
- The design and build quality
- The amazing battery life and the add-on battery
- The magnetic HiFi speaker and the audio quality
- The screen resolution and the great touch response
- The overall performance
What I’d change
- Make a variety of custom cases available
Some time ago, I got an older version of a DOOGEE smartphone, and I thought it was decent. So when I heard about this new model and the specs that it boasted, I was excited and hoping that it would not disappoint. With the understanding that different people like different features on a smartphone, I am very pleased with this S95 Super smartphone, and so much so that I use it as the guest call-in phone for my podcast. It is fast and responsive and while I can see folks not liking the weight and the bulkiness especially when using the add -on modules, I really like them. And, all of this is coming from me as an iPhone user and someone who uses the Apple ecosystem every day. I give this smartphone a well done and two thumbs up!!