Content Nav Menu

Sony Walkman Z Series Mobile Media Player

on January 24, 2012 9:00 am

Sony-Z-SeriesSony has extended their Walkman product line with the Z Series Mobile Media Player.  This Android 2.3 powered Mobile Media Player has a 4.3” touch screen, runs on a dual core mobile processor, has built-in WiFi / Bluetooth, micro HDMI port, and has Sony’s S-Master MX audio technology to deliver a crisp audio experience.  It comes in 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB, which you can pre-order for $249, $279, and $329, respectively.  Currently it only comes in black.

Comments

1. 1
    killerconceptz says:

Cool, but I’m sorry nobody can compete with the uber giant ipod!

2. 2
    Richard says:

killerconcept: I don’t know, one of the problems of the iPod touch as a PDA is that the screen is too small. Here we have a 4.3 inch screen with the Sony to the 3.5 inch screen of the Touch. This might be enough to pursuade some to make the leap. Of course there is likely to be a 4 inch Touch sometime in 2012 and some of the apps are so more developed in iOS than Android e.g. (agreed this is my narrow requirements): OliveTree BibleReader, Laridian. Competition is good.

3. 3
    Richard says:

I wonder what the desktop software is like? For all the complaints about iTunes, it is polished. My last experience with an Android PDA (the Samsung Galaxy Tab 5.0 wifi), the desktop software – Kies – was appalling – and so 2006-ish. I hope Sony has something better.

4. 4
    Jackie Cheng says:

I personally like using non-iOS mp3 players since I really hate using itunes to load songs. I like the simpler drag and drop that most non-iOS devices support.

5. 5
    killerconceptz says:

valid point indeed, but apple software is so polished!! I think people are complaining about the screens because of all these hugh smartphones now, like the evo, but wasn’t the point to keep it smaller and thiner? Idk maybe it’s me, but I love the current iphone and ipod sizes./

6. 6
    Jackie Cheng says:

The itunes software is very polished and perfect if you like to use it to easily purchase songs and such for your iDevice. I personally purchase songs on Amazon which is DRM-free mp3 format which I can load into any mp3 player. I personally have an iPhone 4S but don’t have a single song loaded on Apple’s Music App. I use the EZMP3 Pro app which has the functionality that allows me to upload my mp3 wirelessly through the network since that app turns it into a “semi-network drive”.

But I like Apple’s 3.5″ size. Keeps it small enough to pocket. The next screen size up that I like would be a 7″ tablet. Currently have a Playbook which I have to wait until RIM updates it to OS 2.0

7. 7
    killerconceptz says:

No problem with DRM, I convert mine all the time, no biggy.

8. 8
    killerconceptz says:

I have 2 macbook pros, a iphone 4s, and a ipad 1, never been happier!

9. 9
    digi_owl says:

Odd, i was under the impression that it would not have HDMI.

Well color me confused now. Still, if it has then it may well double as a pocket computer when hooked up to the right output and paired up with some bluetooth inputs.

10. 10
    pennyroyal says:

every time i walk into an electronic store and i see the apple section, i want to torch it. overpriced, over exaggerated and standard quality items that cause owners to become fanatics. apple has turned more than an software/hardware company, its a mindset, and it needs to be burnt, at the roots.