REVIEW – I have been a fan of the Raspberry Pi computer for many years and have been using a couple of them in my studio to give me instant viewable access to the desired information. Until about a month ago, I had my Raspberry Pi connected to a large monitor that was mounted some distance away from me. At times, reading fine print was a problem. I am happy to no longer have that problem because of this SunFounder Raspberry Pi 7 Inch Touchscreen.
What is it?
The SunFounder Raspberry Pi 7-Inch Touchscreen features a 1024X600 IPS Display that includes USM and HDMI connections. It also features a built-in stand and Dual Speakers
What’s in the box
1 x SunFounder Raspberry Pi 7-Inch Touchscreen
1 x Protective Cover Plate/Camera Mounting Plate
1 x User Manual
1 x Metal Stick
1 x HDMI Bridge for P3
1 x USB Bridge for P4
1 x USB Bridge for P3
1 x HDMI Bridge for P4
2 x Micro USB Cable for P3
1 x HDMI Cable for P3
1 x Micro HDMI Cable for P4
1 x Screwdriver
Design and features
- 7″ Raspberry Pi Screen: The 7-inch Raspberry Pi touchscreen features HD 1024*600 high resolution with precise touch accuracy (supports 5-Point touch). Providing you with excellent image performance.
- Strong Compatibility: This Raspberry Pi 4 Touchscreen is compatible with Raspberry Pi 4B/3A+/3B+/3B/2B/1B+/1A+, also suitable for Windows 7/8/10 PC, Mac, Microsoft, Media Players, video games, etc.
- Plug and Play: You can fix the Raspberry Pi board on the back of the display through a USB and HDMI bridge. No need to connect mess cables, it’s very clean and tidy.
- Full Function: This Raspberry Pi Display has Built-in 8Ω/3W Dual Stereo Speakers and an OSD menu system. It comes with 2.5″ SSD fixing holes and a camera frame to expand your Raspberry Pi. (Note: SSD and Camera are not included.)
- Table Stand and Wall Mounting: Comes with a dedicated simple stand to make work more convenient. Moreover, the 7″ Raspberry Pi Touchscreen has holes to fix on the wall.
The SunFounder 7″ Raspberry Pi IPS monitor is a 5-point capacitive touch screen with a resolution of 1024×600 and a high-quality IPS panel to bring you a perfect visual experience.
It works with various operating systems including Raspberry Pi OS, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Windows, Android, RetroPie, Twister OS, macOS, and Chrome OS (you may need a USB extension cable).
This Raspberry Pi Display has Built-in 8Ω/3W Dual Stereo Speakers, and an OSD menu system, and comes with a dedicated simple stand to make work more convenient. Just plug and play.
The following photos show the front and back of the touchscreen:
To test this touchscreen, I used my Raspberry Pi4 seen below.
Here are screenshots of my assembly process:
The following photo is the fully assembled combination of the Raspberry Pi4 running Dakboard and the touchscreen.
Take a look at the touchscreen response demo and the menus:
This next video shows me playing around with the menu which unfortunately is not touch-sensitive:
The SunFounder Raspberry Pi 7-Inch Touchscreen is really nice and works well. For my testing, I connected it to my Raspberry Pi4 and I am running Dakboard. The assembly was easy and the overall convenience is great. There are many other ways to use this combination such as adding a drive and using the appropriate Raspberry Pi software to create a NAS.
What I like
- The build quality
- The size
- The touchscreen capability
- The smooth and easy integration with the Raspberry Pi computer
- The built-in stand
What I’d change
- The monitor controls are on the back. having at the side might be a bit easier to see what control button I am actually pressing.
- The speaker volume is quite low
- I wish the menu was touch-sensitive as opposed to having to feel around the back for the corresponding buttons.
I really like the SunFounder Raspberry Pi 7-Inch Touchscreen and for my use, it has worked out much better than having to attach my Raspberry Pi to a larger external screen. Now the entire device sits on my desk in front of me, and since I am running a Dakoard, I have 2 calendars, a task list, a video, and the time and weather right at my fingertips. I give this a well done and two thumbs up!
Where to buy: Amazon
Source: The sample for this review was provided by SunFounder.