REVIEW – I love the convenience of being able to watch TV and movies wherever I choose without having to rely on the presence of a physical TV. I particularly like to be able to watch outdoors in the summer. One device that would allow me to do so would be a portable projector and I would want one that has a few options to plug in different media and one that can project a decent quality picture. Let’s see what this dser Portable Movie Projector can do.
What is it?
The dser Portable Movie Projector is a Home Theater Mini Video Projector that provides 1080P resolution, supported by a 60,000 Hrs LED, and is capable of a 160″ Display, 150ANSI, and 4000 Lumens. It is compatible with Fire TV, Laptops, PC, PS4, HDMI, USB devices.
What’s in the box
1 x dser Portable Movie Projector
1 x Remote Control
1 x Power Adapter
1 x Power Cable
1 x AAA Alkaline Battery
1 x User Manual
Design and features
- 160inch Big Screen and 4000L Brightness: This movie projector provides a watching size from 30″ to 160″ with a projection distance between 3.08ft to16.4ft, 9.32ft is the ideal viewing distance. With the updated LED lighting source technology and ±30° electronic keystone correction, this 150ANSI (4000Lumen) home projector can show a bright screen with fantastic image clarity.
- 1080P Supported Projector: Dser home theater projector adopts the native 720P resolution with 2000:1 contrast ratio, support up to 1080P, 80% brighter than other projectors, which provides an incredibly lifelike picture for videos and movies, you may enjoy the happy time with your family or friends.
- Dual Speaker and Long Lamp Life: Built-in 2 x 3w stereo speakers offer excellent surround sound quality, you can also connect the video projector to external speakers to meet your higher quality sound needs. A UL certified power supply and a 60, 000-hour LED lamp-life ensure that you can use it for more than 15 years. We use a fully sealed optical machine so that our light path will not enter dust during use.
- Multimedia Portable Projector: The mini projector comes with HDMI/USB/Headphone ports, it is compatible with TV, TV Box, Fire TV Stick, Apple TV, Android TV Stick, set-top boxes, game machines, laptop, tablet, external speakers, headphone, DVD player and etc. Dser video projector also allows you to connect your iPhone / android phone directly with an HDMI adapter(not included).
- Reliable Quality and Warranty: Dser mini projector provides customers 12-month maintenance of product defects from the date of purchase with professional customer service and technical support. If the products cannot be used normally during this period, we will replace the products for you free of charge. Any questions please contact our customer support team.
This projector is lightweight and the body is plastic. On the front, there is the lens and the vent. On the top of the back, there are all of the ports/jacks and below another vent, as shown in the illustration below.
On top, there is a carrying handle which is just above the power on/off button and there is the focus control.
On the bottom, there are rubber feet and a 1/4-20″ tripod mount.
A full-function remote control is included.
This projector is pretty much plug-n-play. Other than basic setup options that include common choices like language, the startup process is simple and you are able to view from your chosen sources of USB or HDMI device in minutes.
The photos below show some of the settings screens.
Below I have a Roku Stick plugged into the HDMI port.
As I mentioned above, this projector is very easy and quick to set up and use. The price of the device is important to keep in mind so that you would not expect it to perform like a projector that is 10x the price. It allows you to connect both HDMI and USB media devices and produces a relatively “decent” picture. I did notice a bit of a rolling picture at times when using the Spectrum app to view TV, but this seemed to only occur on a couple of specific channels. I am not sure what that issue is since it does not occur when the Roku strick is connected directly to a TV. The other issue that I have with this projector is that while it is “portable” it does not include a built-in battery which in some use cases, defeats the purpose. The built-in speakers work well for a very quiet environment. I plug a soundbar into the headphones jack and that works well. The vents also work well since I never notice any remarkable heat after using it for a couple of hours. I will have to see if that is the same outdoors in the summer.
What I like
- It is lightweight with a good build quality albeit all plastic
- Easy focus adjustment
- Multiple ports for media
- Decent picture
- Acceptable built-in audio
- Built-in tripod mount
What I’d change
- Add a built-in battery for true portability
Keeping in mind that the dser projector is priced at just above $100US, I think that it delivers good value for the cost. The picture is decent, the connectivity options are good, the built-in speakers work for personal listening, it is lightweight, and it has a built-in tripod mount., The absence of a battery does limit its portability, but again for the price, it works.
Price: $129.98 (Amazon currently has a $25-off coupon)
Where to buy: Amazon
Source: The sample for this review was provided by dser.