There seem to be two major groupings of “running a business” simulators. Those where you make decisions, set things up, then let run (such as DopeWars) and those that make you hustle to keep up with all of the things going on, like Lemonade Stand or Insanaquaium. Astraware’s Cake Mania is definitely one of the latter!
Let’s start with a quick quiz:
1. Do you use the Internet Movie Database site a lot?
2. Are you often involved in conversations that include questions like “What was the name of that movie? You know, the one with Norm Macdonald in it?”
3. Do you often wonder what critics thought of some obscure movie you found at the rental place because all the good movies are gone?
4. Do you wish you had a convenient way to track movies you want to buy or rent, or that you already have?
5. Do you wish you knew what the top 50 comedies of all time are (perhaps while stalking the rental place aisles)?
I’m a sucker for IQ tests and ‘brain building’ programs, which considering that I am a major idiot (at least according to my very intelligent kids) is probably a waste of time. Recently, I fell in love with the Nintendo DS game ‘BrainAge‘. This is a real tragedy since I don’t have a Nintendo. (Hmmm, this may be a sample of why my kids call me an idiot!)
I used to play the original Bejeweled until I wore through my screen protectors! It was a great game that kept my interest for several months. Astraware has now released ‘Bejeweled2’, and I had to see if it would be a new favorite.
I really like the Calendar on my Palm. I used to use Agendus but my life is just not complicated enough to bother with all of its features for $30. Still, there are a few features Calendar lacks- like a good detailed weekly view.
I love games that I can pick up and almost instinctively know the rules for, and that play fast so I can just do it and put it away. This freeware version of the classic game Breakout accomplishes both.
Good backups of my Palm have saved my fanny several times. One time, I ended up using an obscure, almost forgotten and out of date backup file because every other backup I had was dead. I hope I never relive that day- and with some solid backup software, I shouldn’t have to.