Every year either on or around December 31st, I like to put together a list of our most popular news, reviews and articles of the year according to Google’s traffic statistics for the site. I think it’s interesting to see which articles and topics were the most popular with our readers. Any ideas what the top list will reveal this year? Click through to find out.
10. GOATcase develops anti-gravity case for iPhone and Samsung Galaxy phones by Neil Henning (August, 2016)
We start out with a news post about a case for iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones that can stick to things. This short article was read over 36,000 times this past year. Who knew that stickie cases were that popular with people!
9. Keurig 2.0 Model K550 Coffee Brewing System review by Janet Cloninger (November, 2014)
This review was on last year’s list at #3, so it’s fallen a few levels, but people are still interested in a coffee and beverage maker that was released back in 2014.
8. Make it yourself – Midori Traveler’s style leather Moleskine Cahier or Field Notes notebook cover by Julie Strietelmeier (August, 2013)
Last year, this article was the 4th most read article of 2015 and this year it has still been read more than 65,000 times. It just goes to show that people love DIY articles and journals! I have plans to revisit this article with a new DIY journal cover in 2017. So stay tuned.
7. Casetify Phone Case review by Elizabeth Rodriguez (March, 2015)
In the early days of The Gadgeteer, I was well known for case reviews. Even though we don’t do very many these days, the ones we do are read – a LOT. This one from Elizabeth was read over 72,000 times.
6. Ridge Wallet review by Jason Griffin (May, 2015)
Minimalist wallets continue to be popular. I’ve even switched to one myself. This review from Jason was on last year’s top list at the #12 spot, so it’s even more popular this year after being read more than 74,000 times.
5. Go outside tonight to view Mars without a telescope by Julie Strietelmeier (May, 2016)
This article was written on a whim one Saturday morning when I was reading that Mars would be visible. I thought it might be useful to write some quick tips on using your phone to snap a picture. Over 77,000 people thought the same thing.
4. i-FlashDrive external storage for iOS devices review by Janet Cloninger (December, 2014)
This review only dropped two spots in popularity from #2 in 2015 to #4 for this year. Even though Apple continues to increase built in storage capacity on their devices, people still look for alternative ways to extend the storage capabilities of their devices.
3. MPOW Swift Bluetooth 4.0 Headphones review by Kathleen Chapman (April, 2015)
Here’s another review that was on last year’s list in a lower spot than it is for 2016. Wireless headphones and earphones will continue to be popular since Apple has removed the 3.5mm headphone jack from their phones. Maybe next year we’ll have a pair of Lightning connector headphones on the top list.
2. VR Shinecon Virtual Reality Glasses review by Julie Strietelmeier (January, 2016)
This one surprises me. I don’t understand why this VR headset is so popular because I think it’s junk compared to others I’ve tried. This one wouldn’t even fit over my glasses. But with over 172,000 reads, I can’t argue with its popularity.
1. SJCAM SJ4000 Action Camera review by Raul Sanchez (October, 2014)
Well, there you have it, the most read review on The Gadgeteer for 2016 is an action cam review from 2014. This review was #1 on last year’s top list and was read over 239,000 times this year. It continues to be read at least 100 times every day. I wonder where it will end up on next year’s list.