Do you use your laptop ON your lap? Give your thighs a break with the Coalesse Free Stand portable worksurface, an ingenious and elegant fold-flat work surface.
- Free Stand folds flat for easy storage and portability
- Height adjustable from 20 1/2″ to 27″
- Worksurface rotates 360 degrees
- Units can nest against each other to easily store multiple units
- Lightweight; Free Stand weighs only 11 lbs (5 kilograms)
- No assembly required
- Worksurface: 19-¼”w x 11″d
- Free Stand: 22¼”d x 21¼”w x 20h”–27″h
- Recommended maximum load of 35 lbs.
- Shipping Box Dimensions: 24”L x 7”W x 24”H
- Delivery Weight: 15.4 lbs
The Coalesse Free Stand comes in the strangest box I’ve ever seen. This is no joke. This is how it arrived. At least there was no wasted packaging.
Here is the Free Stand, folded up in front of a comfy chair.
Step one: Unfold the vertical bit. Snaps into place.
Step two: Flip the tray table up.
Step three: Rotate table top the way you want.
Step four: Table top can raise to from 20-1/2″ to a maximum height of 27″.
And here it is, with a Macbook Air (2008) atop the Free Stand.
The work surface measures 19-¼”w x 11″d. Plenty of size for most notebooks.
To adjust the height, this thumb button (located atop a VERY nicely placed handle) locks and unlocks the overall height.
Another button near the base locks the vertical riser in place.
This oddly-placed squeeze lever under the tray table moves the tray table to it’s horizontal position. I had a little trouble with this, but after a few tries it opened up.
Coalesse has a nice video on the whole procedure.
I love my Coalesse Free Stand. Because it folds up flat and I can just slip it under the chair when I’m not using it. Unfolding it is probably the most fun part. It feels satisfying, like you’re assembling a helpful Transformer robot to hold your laptop. I admit the price is a bit steep, but this is the first portable work surface that vanishes under the chair, and feels sturdy.