≡ Menu > Menu

#ad Faveable shares essential tools for your outdoor adventure

outdooradv

A good match kit, compass and pocket knife should be at the top of your check list for any outdoor adventures you may be planning. Our friends at Faveable have compiled one such list with a good option for each of these product categories.

UCO Stormproof Match Kit: If you’re planning to do some camping and need a reliable set of match sticks, this UCO Stormproof Match Kit is just what you need.

It’s a waterproof case that includes 25 matches and 3 strikers. The case features an integrated striker on the outside to provide an easy location for lighting matches, and can hold up to 40 matches. Each match can stay lit for up to 15 seconds, even after being submerged in water!

Silva Explorer Compass: A good compass is on the top of every hiker’s check list. Not only is this compass good enough for hiking, but it can be used for orienteering with the extended baseplate. It’s easy to grip and fits comfortably in the palm of your hand.

Buck Trio Folding Pocket Knife: This is a mid-sized 3-bladed traditional folding pocket knife, perfect for your fishing, hunting or other outdoor adventures.

• Andrew Baker March 24, 2014, 1:20 pm

Ok I want those matches for the upcoming ecological apocalypse. Unless it’s heat. Maybe I don’t need them then.

• meistervu March 24, 2014, 2:59 pm

I don’t understand the point of matches for outdoors use and emergency. An inexpensive lighter is more robust, cheaper, and can be used many times.

Case in point: I found a small disposable lighter on a camping trip. It was out in the Sun and rain for probably a season, so the label was gone. I shook it and figured it had some fluid left, so I threw it in my camping stove bag for emergency.

Well, that lighter lasted me about eight years, until I lost it.

Mind you this lighter could probably purchased at at gas station for about $1 (I don’t smoke, so I have no idea). I now have a windproof lighter for camping, but a cheap disposable lighters are probably pretty reliable for years because the manufacturers have to think of the consequences of leaky lighters and thus have to make their product safe which for a simple device like a lighter translates to reliable and long lasting product.

If I were stuck out there in the wild, I would take a cheap lighter over fancy water proof matches any day.

• Jimor March 25, 2014, 1:11 am

A foldable pocke knife? You should not bring one of those. The one time you need it, the pin will break, it won’t open, etc…

Bring a knife with a wide bevel that it in the 3 inch/10 cm length area. A standard non foldable knife with a sheath. It is much stronger than the folding knife. You can even strike the blade to get though a large piece of wood. Most have a guard to keep your fingers away from the sharp blades avoiding a serious injury whe you already have enough to deal with. Eliminate the points of failure and just get a regular non folding outdoor/hunting/survival knife. Your life will thank you for it.

• jhon March 25, 2014, 12:27 pm

meistervu:

8 years is very unusual. Lighters are mechanical and can fail. A match can’t fail mechanically. If you’re just a 15 min walk from the camp “general store”, there’s no reason to have matches. However, if you are going out in the wild pretty deep, I’d make sure I have emergency matches along with the lighter.

That said, even if you run out of fluid, you can use a lighter to grind out some flint on to a fire-starter (either tissue, cotton, dry twigs or leaves). Then with the same lighter, ignite the flint (by flicking it to produce a spark on to the flint-powder) and start a fire (I’ve had to do this — twice).

I still keep weather proof matches stuffed with wax-infused cotton in a waterproof cylinder in both my bug-out bag and camp kit ALONG with a lighter. It takes up very little space, too.

• James March 25, 2014, 10:50 pm

Good grief you act as it leaving the asphalt is an adventure!

• jhon March 26, 2014, 11:24 am

James:

If “leaving the asphalt” involves walking in to the wild for a day or three, then yes — it is an adventure.

If “leaving the asphalt” involves camping in areas where you can get stuck out in the open all night while hiking (because you get turned around or injure yourself), then yes — it is an adventure.

If “leaving the asphalt” involves walking in to a Starbucks for an over priced cup of coffee, your scorn is in fact justified.

Trust me, You want to be able to make fire as easily as possible — as reliably as possible if you are stuck outdoors overnight without shelter.

• meistervu March 28, 2014, 11:03 pm

@jhon – sure, anything can fails. But lighter mechanical is really simple. If it works once, the chance of its failing is rather slim I suspect.

I have always believed lighters are superior to matches as a survival tool. My belief was confirmed when I watched Les Strauss the survival expert who films his own episodes (so he’s out there for real all by himself for a week at a time). He mentioned that he too trust deposable lighters.

Think of the construction of a lighter. You have a strike wheel which is metal which strikes a flint. The wheel is designed to move with little effort, which means it is not like like to get stuck or break. Ever heard of a lighter wheel broke? I am sure it could, but how likely is that? I would take that chance over running out of matches.

• Jhon March 29, 2014, 1:13 am

meistervu:

“Ever heard of a lighter wheel broke?”

The wheel it’s self? No. The plastic snaps which hold it? Yes. And once that happens, it’s next to impossible to get the scrape the flint off, too.

I carry a lighter. I also carry matches. They both fit in my waterproof cylinder. And yes, I had the plastic snaps break trying to light kindling. Lighters aren’t meant to burn that long at any given time. The heat weakens the plastic. Slow burning, wax infused matches can burn for 2 or 3 minutes. And if you don’t have very dry kindling, you may NEED that long of a burn.

Like I said — I carry both. It doesn’t take up much space to do so. I use the lighter first if possible but I’ve been thankful more than once that I also had a handful of all-weather matches with me.

Simple rule I follow: Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Particularly if there’s no negative (too bulky or somesuch).