These camping cots let you “rack ‘em and stack ‘em”

two-person-camping-bed

This looks dangerous, but I suppose having stacking cots could save room inside a cramped tent.  The Two Person Portable Camping Bunk Bed has “sturdy steel construction bars” and a sleeping surface, made of heavy-duty, washable, mildew-resistant 600D polyester, that’s wider than most camping cots.  It says it sleeps two adults, with a weight limit of 230 pounds for the upper bunk and 250 pounds for the lower bunk.  It folds down to fit in a carrying bag for use while camping, but they can be used as extra sleeping space for guests at home, too.  The Two Person Portable Camping Bunk Bed is $165.49 at Amazon.

Posted in: News, Outdoor Gear

• Jackie Cheng March 6, 2014, 2:47 pm

That really doesn’t look safe at all. I would suggest investing that $165 into a bigger tent instead.

• DStaal March 6, 2014, 3:25 pm

We had stacking cots when I was growing up (not this design, but probably similar), they worked fine, and were plenty stable and strong. They were great for ‘forts’ at home as well. ;)

• Julie Strietelmeier March 6, 2014, 3:27 pm

@Jackie I get first dibs on the top bunk!

• jhon March 6, 2014, 4:24 pm

That’s actually a reasonable price compared to the one’s I’ve been eye-balling:

The Disc-o-bed is very sturdy, but just not worth the money/effort to put together (knew someone with a set). If you’re going for a single week long camp trip per year, the ones cited here are more than enough and should last years.

With regards to getting a bigger tent — if you’ve already got a large cabin tent, bigger isn’t usually THAT much bigger for the money you spend. With bunk-cots you can free up a fair amount of floor space (which can be very desirable for larger families). This is particularly important if you end up stuck in the tent for an extended period of time due to bad weather.

• MaxJAJ1 March 6, 2014, 5:58 pm

Disc-O-Bed is better b/c it can be converted into a couch (as well as a bunk bed).

• DStaal March 6, 2014, 11:53 pm

The Disc-O-Bed has one major downside, though: It’s got head and foot boards, limiting you to the length of the cot, where this one doesn’t. (This one doesn’t even appear to have a bar across the head or foot – ideal for being able to hang your feet off.)

Also, this one has more supports (four per side, versus two per side), though given they are all steel tubes I’m sure they are strong either way. (But it does mean less pressure on your tent floor.)

• jhon March 7, 2014, 1:39 pm

Yes, the disc-o-bed can be converted in to a couch. I just don’t think that feature overcomes the additional weight of the bunk and the difficulty in assembly for most campers. Unless you plan a 2-4 week camp at a stretch. Because they are sturdy, they can survive daily use. Hell, you could use them in your home for quite some time before they begin to wear out.

However, for the family that camp 1-3 times a year for a weekend to a week at a time, it’s just not worth it.

• Bob Deloyd March 7, 2014, 8:24 pm

I can see a disaster about to happen with this!

• Janet Cloninger March 7, 2014, 9:28 pm

Hey Bob! Long time, no see! That’s funny you say that, because my first title for the post was “File this under tragedy waiting to happen.” I decided that wouldn’t give people a clue what it was about, so I changed it.

• Bob Deloyd March 7, 2014, 10:04 pm

Hi Janet!
    Yes I am back… I missed your crazy watch reviews :)
    Actually I miss you all <3

• Janet Cloninger March 7, 2014, 10:09 pm

Oh come on, Bob! You know it’s more important for a watch to have pretty, blinky lights than for it to show the time! ;)

• Bob Deloyd March 7, 2014, 11:43 pm

Janet, life would much more interesting for all if street signs were to have them pretty, blinky lights than to show the name of the actual street ;)

• Janet Cloninger March 8, 2014, 12:21 am

You know it, Bob! Think of the excitement of trying to read the signs as you’re driving by at 55mph! It would be extra exciting if they only showed one letter at a time, like those “chasing” Christmas lights.

• Bob Deloyd March 8, 2014, 1:58 pm

Janet,
    How about your Car’s GPS giving directions in rap!

• Janet Cloninger March 8, 2014, 2:04 pm

Bob,

That would be different. And the first time it called me the b word, it would be out the window. ;)

• Bob Deloyd March 8, 2014, 11:08 pm

Well Janet, it’s the change of time for us out here in California and elsewhere at 2am Sunday morning. I can see all them folks with them weird hard to tell the time watches hunting around for that thick book of instructions to set the time forward :P

• Janet Cloninger March 9, 2014, 8:39 am

Yep. It’s nice that I use my phone as my watch and my alarm clock now. It automaticly sets the time for me!

• Larry Geisz March 9, 2014, 10:11 am

We keep it simple in AZ with all the retirees and all, No DST out here….