Prevent spills with the Vector Cupholder

vector-cupholder

The Vector Cupholder is a solid aluminum cup holder that clamps to tables, desks and trays up to 1.5 inches in thickness. It has the ability to support a wide variety of containers and mugs up to 3 inches in diameter; paper and plastic cups holding from 6 to 30 ounces of liquid; thermos bottles; even the odd little cup you get on airplanes. The Vector Cupholder weighs only 3.5 oz and folds flat for easy transport. I would love one of these for my next flight. The little indentation built into airplane tray tables to hold a cup isn’t always the most effective. On my last flight the tray table itself wasn’t level and we had some turbulence. I was worried that my cup of water was going to end up in my lap at any moment. The only down side that I see to the Vector is the price. It’s listed at $50, but when you initiate a pre-order with Amazon, the price comes up at $35, which I still think is too high. What would you pay for a gadget like this?

Posted in: Home, Kitchen, News

• Julie Strietelmeier October 23, 2013, 8:18 am

More info:

“We will be offering the Vector Cupholder for half-price to early-bird Backers on Kickstarter shortly. People can Like us on Facebook and be notified as soon as the Early Bird offer goes live on Kickstarter.

Amazon is not yet active and the Kickstarter early-bird price will be better.”

• PGD October 23, 2013, 2:55 pm

I spilled hot chocolate on my precious Mac Air and fried it. It started making a low sizzling noise and then the screen went snowy. Finally, it died in my arms.

I went to the Apple Store clutching the computer to my chest. As usual, the store was busier than a beehive. One of the chipper sales staff sent me to another sales associate–this one clutching an iPad to his chest. “Do you have an appointment?” An appointment? I am incredulous. Appointments with the tech staff are like appointments with doctors. They must be made well in advance. This is no walk-in clinic, ya know.

So I was given an appointment for 3 1/2 hours later in the day. I had lunch, I browsed the mall and I wasted half a day. I got to the appointment where a 19 year-old pried the computer out of my sweaty hands and took it to a back room to crack it open. He returned to give me the bad news: the patient is dead. In fact, it’s still wet inside. But for a mere $775 he can send it to California where the nice Apple people will try to revive it. That might take 3 weeks or so. Do I have a back up computer to tide me over until this one gets home?

The choice was a no brainer. I could spend almost $800 to try to repair the computer, or for $1000 I could buy a new one. Or I could have used a Vector Cupholder and saved myself the expense, the aggravation and the trip to the Apple Store.

• Maxine October 23, 2013, 7:02 pm

I wish I had one of these! Just yesterday I spilled my tea over my computer……..I can’t wait to receive it! What a GREAT invention! I’m sending this link to everyone I know.

• Janet Cloninger October 24, 2013, 9:46 am

@PGD I read your comment to my daughter, who has killed two MacBook Pros (luckily the second one could be repaired, but the first was DOA). When I read her the part about the sizzling, she interrupted to say “yes! And then it goes all snowy before it dies!” It’s apparently an experience that makes a lasting impression. ;)

• Henry October 27, 2013, 9:37 pm

I love my Macbook Pro but its kinda wide when you fly coach and lower the tray table. I have to choose: give up the drink (unthinkable — its all they give you) because there’s no room, or put the laptop down for a spell. This Vector cupholder will end the long nightmare of this dilemma and I look forward to it.

• Cliff Thier December 12, 2013, 9:51 pm

We’re up on Kickstarter with an early-bird price and an even lower earliest-bird price: