Xuron 496 Split Ring Pliers – Tools you never knew existed

Did you know there is a tool designed specifically for opening split rings? You know, the rings you use to hold your keys? I didn’t either till I read about it on one of my favorite sites: EDC Forums. The Xuron 496 Split Ring Plier will save you from pinched finger tips and broken nails. You just place the ring in the jaws of these pliers, close them and it will open the ring. Easy! This particular pair of pliers is $10.82 from Amazon. Amazon also carries other brands of the same type of tool that are less expensive. Check out this video that demonstrates how to use the pliers.

Posted in: Gear, News

6 comments… add one

• Ken Schoenberg October 14, 2012, 9:10 am

Julie, you need to fish more! Split ring pliers are a standard for fisherman. We use them to put new hooks on our lures.

• Julie October 14, 2012, 9:51 am

@Ken I guess so! I haven’t been fishing in a decade (at least).

• Norm October 14, 2012, 10:31 pm

And here in Hawaii the fishing stores sell two sizes of
    pliers so you can handle both large and small split rings!

• Norm October 14, 2012, 10:37 pm

And a few years ago, in my landyard making days, I wanted to buy a hemostat to help with certain weaves. Non of the local medical supply houses would sell me one since I wasn’t a “medical person”. But then I found that fishing supply stores had these too.

• Travis October 15, 2012, 12:32 am

I just received an email with the subject entitled, “Why didn’t I think of this” and in it contained a picture of someone using a hinged staple remover to split the key ring. I thought the subject line truly earned its title then.

• Julie October 15, 2012, 7:19 am

@Norm and Travis thanks for the comments! I never thought of using a staple remover either. Now I won’t order those pliers. Thanks for saving me $10 :)